Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liguid cooled Buell

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 PM
farns
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Liguid cooled Buell

I like the air cooled 45 degree, pushrod engine.
I like that is pi$$es off the bulk of the japanese techno culture.

If money were no object, I would have an open primary, oil leaking, high compression, straight out the side burn the paint off the car door beside me exhaust, velocity stack that could suck in a small child, wonder if it will start big inch motor oozing attitude that you would have to mop up with a bucket loader!! Did I mention it would not be liquid cooled?
The more "ignorant" the bike, the happier I would be.
But hey, thats just me.

I LIKE technology, I appreciate the Japanese bikes and I like to just plain ride (with anyone on anything). Just let me keep having my HD tractor like bike please.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: DI_Dave

I agree..I doubt you'll ever see a "Rotax" engine in a "Bagger" frame (or any other HD frame for that matter).
I do believe you will be seeing a "V-Rod" type engine in a "HD" frame though...its enivitable
I love my old school v-twin (wouldn't trade it for any rice burner cruiser)..but there are much better ways to engineer an engine...
You do realize that the Revolution V-Rod motor isn't a whole lot different overall when you get down to it, right? Rotax :72 degree liquid cooled V-Twin; Revolution, 60 degree liquid cooled V-Twin. Both are overhead cams, both require a radiator, and both were created overseas (wish some Harley/Buell assistance!); Revolution was created in Germany, Rotax in Austria. Even the size is pretty close, the Buell's is 1125 cc, the Revolution is 1130!

I happen to agree with you, we'll see a Revolution motor in other Harleys before we'll see the Helicon motor (what Buell is calling it at least). Mainly because of the visuals, the fins on the Revolution motor make it look a little more classical Harley.

I certainly wouldn't mind an 1125R parked next to my Glide though!

Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a huge fan of the buell or the V-rod for that matter.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:33 AM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "Rotax" engine in the Buell is proprietary to the Buell. Similar to but not shared with Aprilla or others. Not any connection to Bombardier. Rotax supplies engines to several manufacturers. Many keep the "Rotax" name on the engine in the bike, the Buell does not.
V-rod engine "created" by HD with engineering help from Porsche as done bymany automakers.
V-rod and Rotax as similar as the TC-96 and the Victory 100 - not so much.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:13 AM
gwcrim
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: seldyn1

You guys need to "broaden your horizons" and get Cycle World magazine!
When I read this I thought: "And you just found this out?"

Buells are cool bikes. Erik is quite a motorcycle innovator. He forced the underslung muffler on the sportbike world. Look around now, they're all going that way. Other innovations include: fuel tank in the frame, oil tank in the swingarm, perimeter front brake, just to name a few. He's all about incredibly well handling bikes. Mass centralization is key to his sucess.