Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertically Challenged

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
bluejerry
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vertically Challenged

Hey folks, this is my first post here. I have a question for all you challenged folks out there. I am looking at buying my first Harley. I ride a Suzuki c50 now and am looking to go to an ultra glide. I have done the demo ride on an 07 and the 08 seemed taller. Here is my concern. I was at destination Daytona this past weekend and sat on an ultra and I could not sit flat footed. I am 5' 6 and was on the ***** of my feet. This concerns me with an 800 plus pound bike. The wife and I will be doing allot of two up riding and want to know from you folks how you manage to back this bike up or ballance at stoplights.

ThanksJerry

Old 01-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Vertically Challenged

You can get shorter shocks(I did ) and a different seat to help sit you lower. Almost any bike can be adjusted to make you the rider be more comfy and secure

Old 01-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5'-7" here with a 28" inseam. While I ride a Street Glide I can see your situation.

Several things can be done to pickup some leg room:
Different seat
Lowered suspension
Aftermarket adjustable air ride suspension system
Thicker soled boots

If you have the time to hangout at your local dealer one Saturday morning just wait for an Ultra to roll-up with a rider similar in height to yourself. I'm sure they would be happy to show any adjustments they have made. Talk to the shortest salesperson (no really) as well. If there is anybody in the store that would know of the options it would those closest to the floor (if you know what I mean)

Have fun finding the ride and setup perfect for you.

Primo

P.S. A Street Glide might also be an alternative since it comes from the factory already an inch lower than the Ultra.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:40 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

Progressive make fork springs 1or 2 inches lower and have the shocks the same so there wont be a problem to get your feet flat on the ground

Old 01-11-2008, 03:41 PM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried wood blocks on the floorboards and a big pillow behind me- that didn't work so I went with a Sundowner seat and pullback bars - did the trick.
Pretty glad I didn't have to go on the rack.
Being short is OK-especially around tall women.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM
jakedog
Road Warrior

Have stock seat modified by MeanCity cycle, should be able to drop it 1-2" and narrower in the front. drop shocks 1" & wear thicker soled boots. All this can be done fairly inexpensively.....

Old 01-11-2008, 03:51 PM
bluejerry
Novice

Good ideas. I have a mustang seat and 3" risers on the handlebars. Sucks to be a hobbit! I have ridden the 07 electraglide classic and liked it.
jerry

Old 01-11-2008, 03:55 PM
nuckels
Banned

Welcome to the forums! get some "Kiss" boots! [sm=icon_quiet.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif] Well,maybe not.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:59 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact this guy bobby@columbiahd.comand talk to him. I am 5-7 and he is shorter than me and he has ridden Road Kings for years and he works in the sales dept at my local dealer. If anyone can help you he can. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:04 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5' 7" here went to 12" progressive 440's and a mustang seat, flat foot no problem. if I was going to do it again I would have the stock seat modified probably by mean city because he is close enough I could make a appointment and ride up there and get a perfect fit.

Quick Reply: Vertically Challenged