Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertically Challenged

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:19 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Vertically Challenged

two words "Street Glide"

Old 01-13-2008, 09:12 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: bluejerry

Hey folks, this is my first post here. I have a question for all you challenged folks out there. I am looking at buying my first Harley. I ride a Suzuki c50 now and am looking to go to an ultra glide. I have done the demo ride on an 07 and the 08 seemed taller. Here is my concern. I was at destination Daytona this past weekend and sat on an ultra and I could not sit flat footed. I am 5' 6 and was on the ***** of my feet. This concerns me with an 800 plus pound bike. The wife and I will be doing allot of two up riding and want to know from you folks how you manage to back this bike up or ballance at stoplights.
ThanksJerry
I am 5'6" with 30" inseam. I replaced my '03 Ultra with an '08 recently and I can appreciate your concern. All I can say is, my bike is bone stock and have just learned to get used to it. I thought about having my seat shaved, but every time I go riding, I just forget about the idea. I would say, pick up the bike and ride it for the first 500 miles and then see where you end up. You may decide you can handle it after all.

By the way, you are correct the '08's are taller.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:03 PM
bluejerry
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all! Appreciate the words of welcome. I will be buying the 08 ultra this summer. Just paid my son's tuition so I am officialy Broke, so I will have to wait. I am giveing him the C50 as his first Bike. Driveing the wife crazy as she is an overprotectiive mom. I would rather see his first bike be a middleweight cruiser than a crotch rocket. He is doing the MSF course this summer.
Jerry

Old 01-14-2008, 06:35 AM
LabRat07
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerry,

If you're not there already, you or your son should check out the two following sites for lots of info on your c50

http://www.volusiariders.com - This site is very informative
http://www.volusiagateway.us - Informative, but more fun than the first one.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:01 AM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am 5' 7" and have no problem with my E Glide. I went with shorter shocks on the rear and lowered the front also, and did not loose any ride quality.I need a little more so I am going to send my seat here in the next couple weeks to Allen a Mean City Cycles. He can gain up to 3" for you and not hurt the comfort any. Have not heard anything but praise about allen and is work.I also installed a set of the Harley extened bars so I don't have to lean forward, which was also a disconfort.The bars being a little longer are prown to vibrate more so what I did was pull a piece of rubber hose 1?2" dia (vacume line) through the bars . What it does is suck up some of the vibration. I have done this on every bike I have owned over the past 20 some years
Clap