Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertically Challenged

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:01 PM
LabRat07
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vertically Challenged

ORIGINAL: bluejerry

Hey folks, this is my first post here. I have a question for all you challenged folks out there. I am looking at buying my first Harley. I ride a Suzuki c50 now and am looking to go to an ultra glide. I have done the demo ride on an 07 and the 08 seemed taller. Here is my concern. I was at destination Daytona this past weekend and sat on an ultra and I could not sit flat footed. I am 5' 6 and was on the ***** of my feet. This concerns me with an 800 plus pound bike. The wife and I will be doing allot of two up riding and want to know from you folks how you manage to back this bike up or ballance at stoplights.

ThanksJerry
Jerry,
I traded my c50 in for an Ultra in September. I'm also 5'6" and my c50 was lowered 3", more for looks. So in the same boat you're in. At first I was concerned on the Ultra that it was too tall and was considering lowering it. It took about 1000 miles to get used to it (about 3 weeks riding) and I'm still at stock height and lovin' every mile. The extra 300 pounds worried me, but again you get used to it. I also do a lot of 2 up riding and no real problems riding.

That being said, there are 2 issues, but I just pay attention to how I park. Backing it up is a little difficult, but if you rock the bike as you are backing up, it works...but I always pay attention so I don't have to back it up on an incline. The other is getting it off the jiffy stand. I made the mistake one time parking on a hill, so the bike was tipped over a little too much. Wife gave a little push to help. Again, if you just pay attention where and how you park, you'll be fine.

The c50 is an awesome bike. I put 14,000 miles on in the year and a half I owned it and loved it. However, the Ultra is even better. I am still amazed at how this bike performs. I can't put my finger on what it is, but it feels a lot more agile than the c50. You'll learn to throw it around through the twisties in no time and you'll never notice the extra weight. Get her on the highway and no more short stroke Vtwin vibration. No more looking for a 6th gear. Pure heaven.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:37 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 667 Likes on 531 Posts

got a freind whos all of 5'4 she had a dealer refer her to a custom seat guy shes now flat footed on a street glide(with her 2 inch boots) the seat mods were pretty comfy even for me at 6'

Old 01-11-2008, 10:38 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 667 Likes on 531 Posts

rider backrest really helps with backing up

Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

Jerry,

I am the same height as you and had the same issue just a hair too short I had the dealer do the lowprofile shocks and the lower front end with chorme before I took it home...This fixed the problem I amnow Flat footed and itput the parts under the Factory warranty since it was done before delivery. Made it perfect for me and I love the way it rides lowered...I did the progressive 440's on my 97 road king and those where great, but did not do the front end on that bike....I like the way the new bike rides with Back and Front both lowered.

Scott
2007EGS
IDS

Old 01-12-2008, 10:41 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,728 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Lowering shocks on back, shorter fork springs on front and Mean City Cycles to re-work your seat.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:14 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I installed the low profile shocks on my 06 EG Standard.....A RK Custom seat....and i wear HD boots...i'm flat footin it.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:08 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've also had this challenge, what I did also was have my dealer lower the front forks "chrome" and I installed the Profile rear shocks and it made a BIG difference. This was on my 04 EGC I ride double most of the time loaded and have had no clearance problems or bottoming out. I also think that by lowering it 1" or so it actually handles better as the centre of gravity has also been lowered.

G@@D LUCK ! ! ! !

Old 01-12-2008, 06:12 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

Hey Jerry,
See you found your way over here also from the MCJ board!!

Old 01-13-2008, 09:37 AM
tammysteve1
Stage IV

As with you, I am 5'5 and 3/4,(trying to get that extra inch), just got a 06 ElectraGlide, used, and the only thing different from a stock was the cut down seat. I am not toally flat footed, but not on tiptoes either. I concur with the parking, and backing. The hardest thing for me to get used to is the lack of leg movement both backing and slow rolling. No rear movement of my legs. Just gotta learn to pick them up, and not let them trail. As stated with the ride and a little extra weight, absolutely right. My EG rides much, much smoother the the Roadstar. I'm happy about all of it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/50727/EAB137E589DE4980A218D483C68ECCF4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-13-2008, 02:04 PM
jm5975
Stage IV

I'm 5'5" and have an '03 Ultra Classic. I replaced my seat with a HD "reach seat" and also replaced the shocks with the lowering shocks. My wife rides with me as well, so if I have a problem backing it up.....you got it, I put her to work!

Quick Reply: Vertically Challenged