Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK To Leave Cruise Switch & Lights On???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:44 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: OK To Leave Cruise Switch & Lights On???

ORIGINAL: Jim Dawson

ORIGINAL: TickTock

Well if you guys are going to insist on leaving them on then take XTrooper3936's advice and have them properly adjusted. Some of you knuckleheads blind me when you pass.
At least you'llSEE this knucklehead.
Hey man don't get offended. Knucklehead was meant for the ones with the crooked lights. I am sure that someone like you would take the time to ensure you weren't being offensive/obnoxious to other drivers and riders by blinding them with maladjusted equipment.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't have a lot of miles on my bike yet but I always leave everything on. I also thought the driving lights couldn't be on at night but only with your high beams on and that's why it's wired that way. I haven't ever heard complaints about my lights nor have I complained about others. I will pay more attention to their aim come spring.
As far as leaving everything on andcranking power, the newer bikes fire so quick, can't see that being much of an issue??

Old 01-12-2008, 08:00 AM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Passing lamps may be used any time, except when using "hi-beams". If they are aimed so high as to blind oncoming traffic, they're not doing you any good, anyway.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:17 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

Just turn the "driving lights" (passing lamps?) off at night. They are usually crooked and blind your buddies. In some states you will geta ticket.
A better idea would be to have them properly adjusted rather than not use them at night when you could use them the most. It's not a difficult job and I see no sense in not using them if your bike is equipped with them.
Ummm... except for the against the law thing...
Ummm...hello? Passing lamps are not against the law...what kind of information are you selling us?

lp

Old 01-12-2008, 09:25 AM
bobbyg12
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little electricity 101. Electronically controlled fuel injection, when working properly, does a wonderful job of starting engines quickly. Some, not all (not sure about Harley/Delphi) also have a certain built-in function for adjusting for low battery voltage to help start in "normal" time. But, as Gilde pointed out, prolonged high current draw operation will degrade he wiring/insulation in the starter and it will fail. When I worked for Ford Electronics we had a starter come back completely melted. WTF! It was from some kid with an SVT Contour, blinged out with lights, 5000 Watt stereo etc... Just went ahead & left everything on & started the car every time. Now we generally don't bling out that much (do we? ) but remember that in the interest of cost-cutting the stock components are not built to handle large changes in load. YMMV.

ORIGINAL: Chuck1

I don't have a lot of miles on my bike yet but I always leave everything on. I also thought the driving lights couldn't be on at night but only with your high beams on and that's why it's wired that way. I haven't ever heard complaints about my lights nor have I complained about others. I will pay more attention to their aim come spring.
As far as leaving everything on and cranking power, the newer bikes fire so quick, can't see that being much of an issue??

Old 01-12-2008, 12:59 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ummm...hello? Passing lamps are not against the law...what kind of information are you selling us?

lp
It appears they are with high beams.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:41 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobbyg12

Actually, you should turn them off before starting. The extra current draw, especially from the lights, can draw down the battery and make starts harder than they need to be.

ORIGINAL: Stash

Probably a stupid question. I use my cruise control a lot (got some carpel tunnel in right wrist), thus I leave the switch on the dash in the on position, all the time. I also never switch off my driving lights (more visibility is better), so that switch is on all the time. Every time I pick up the bike from having service work, both switches have been turned off by the service tech. Anything wrong with leaving the switches in the on position??
makes sense...i turn everything i can off before starting and shuting down, it can't hurt

Old 01-12-2008, 01:55 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the no passing lamps with high beams is a stupid idea anyway......the only time it would affect anybody is when they are coming at you.....and, aren't you supposed to dim your highbeam when you are within 1000 feet of on coming traffic anyway? SO whats the big deal?

Old 01-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobbyg12

Actually, you should turn them off before starting. The extra current draw, especially from the lights, can draw down the battery and make starts harder than they need to be.

ORIGINAL: Stash

Probably a stupid question. I use my cruise control a lot (got some carpel tunnel in right wrist), thus I leave the switch on the dash in the on position, all the time. I also never switch off my driving lights (more visibility is better), so that switch is on all the time. Every time I pick up the bike from having service work, both switches have been turned off by the service tech. Anything wrong with leaving the switches in the on position??
Not since shovelheads ... really.