Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to steal an Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:50 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: How hard is it to steal an Electra Glide

Teach your Rottweiler to ride bitch and stay there when you park.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:57 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,121 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Just getPLENTY of GOOD insurance and don`t worry about it. That is the BEST lock ya can have!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 AM
24guns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the full compliment of the MOCO security system. The ignition disabler, smart siren II and the pager.
It helps me sleep a little better while traveling on the long trips.

Still, I know in the back of my mind anything can be stolen.

A few of the hotels I've stayed at over the years allowed me to park the scoot where the conceirge desk could eyeball it.
This was cool of them as they have severalpeople manning that desk 24/7.

Any ounce of prevention...[8D]

Old 01-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: dog155

The pro's would have no problem taking a Harley,even in broad daylight,with people all around.
Help me with this one.

I don't doubt that you are correct, I just don't understand the situation behind what you're saying.

Its clear that with the forks and the ignition locked, and the security system set, the bike can be physically picked up either manually or with some sort of hoist.

And I understand that a skateboard or dolly can be put under a locked front tire and the bike can be rolled away - even with the security system set and some sort of lock on the front disk brake rotor.

And I even understand that there are master keys or tools that will allow apro to unlock barrel locks on a locked bike (that does NOThave the security system set) pretty quickly.

But what I don't understandare these situations where guys say things like"I locked the front tire and ignition AND SET THE SECURITY SYSTEM, and I saw the guys screwing with it but by the time I got out the door they were driving away".

They could be lyin' dogs, but the service personnel at dealerships I've spoken to indicate that setting the security systemprovides an electronic disconnect to the ignition which - IF SET - should be pretty tough to get around. Not that it would be impossible to get around, but that it would take some time to get into the electronics on the bike.

So how are thieves riding off in a matter of seconds on bikes that have both locks locked and the security system engaged?

I've seen too many reports on this forum of guys watching their bikes "ridden off" in a matter of minutes, who claimed to have set the electronic H-D security system.

How are the thieves getting around that electronic disconnect so quickly?

Old 01-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A) Get an old, ratty bike cover with the name "Honda" printed on it (somebody in here once said "your bike might get pissed on but nobody will steal it")

B) When checking into the hotel,ask if they have a spare handicapped room available....the doors are usually just wide enough for a bike (I actually met a guy whodoes this....LOL)

Old 01-12-2008, 12:42 PM
socalmoe
Tourer

Agree, as much as this rigs cost, gotta have GAP Ins. as well as good insurance. You can be in the hole a few grand to your finance Co. after insurance pays off your MC if stolen. I have have seen two bikes tipped in to a cargo van in a minute flat, one one pushes the other guy pulls, it suck to see it happen.
ORIGINAL: Primo

One adder to the insurance suggestions: GET GAP INSURANCE !!!! If you're financing that ride.

Insurance companies will payoff only on "current value" in most cases. Gap insurance will pick up the difference between current value and balance owed on your loan and is not really that much more $$$.

Also be sure to add accessory insurance if you have big $ invested in add-ons.

Primo

Old 01-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Mullenix53
Advanced

One thing I would do, if I were at a rally of any kind, and I saw some people suddenly pull up to a bike in a crowd with a truck or trailer and start fondling a bike, I would have to walk over and ask if I could help.
I would ask whats wrong with thier machine, maybe I could help fix it for them. 9 times out of 10 your going to get some off the wall story about something being wrong that couldn't possibly be the reason or they are going to start getting offensive and try to ignore you, or work even faster.
In any event, I would never let them get away without getting a tag number or description or something.
That is the least I could do for a fellow rider and I would expect the same from any dedicated fellow Harley rider.
If we ever run into eachother at an event, I'll keep and eye out for ya bro.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:56 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a great way to get your head blown off. Nobodies crap is worth my life.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Doc Intrepid

ORIGINAL: dog155

The pro's would have no problem taking a Harley,even in broad daylight,with people all around.
Help me with this one.

I don't doubt that you are correct, I just don't understand the situation behind what you're saying.

Its clear that with the forks and the ignition locked, and the security system set, the bike can be physically picked up either manually or with some sort of hoist.

And I understand that a skateboard or dolly can be put under a locked front tire and the bike can be rolled away - even with the security system set and some sort of lock on the front disk brake rotor.

And I even understand that there are master keys or tools that will allow apro to unlock barrel locks on a locked bike (that does NOThave the security system set) pretty quickly.

But what I don't understandare these situations where guys say things like"I locked the front tire and ignition AND SET THE SECURITY SYSTEM, and I saw the guys screwing with it but by the time I got out the door they were driving away".

They could be lyin' dogs, but the service personnel at dealerships I've spoken to indicate that setting the security systemprovides an electronic disconnect to the ignition which - IF SET - should be pretty tough to get around. Not that it would be impossible to get around, but that it would take some time to get into the electronics on the bike.

So how are thieves riding off in a matter of seconds on bikes that have both locks locked and the security system engaged?

I've seen too many reports on this forum of guys watching their bikes "ridden off" in a matter of minutes, who claimed to have set the electronic H-D security system.

How are the thieves getting around that electronic disconnect so quickly?
I can answer this one.

1. The time it takes to pop the lock and get it to turn to the ignition position is faster then you would believe.
2. A surprising amount of people do not understand thier security system and do not change thier security code. It does not take long to disarm the security system if you have a clue.
3. Due to the new "Key Fob" thing people are actually hiding/storing theFob on the bike to avoid the potential of being without it.

Seriously,If they break the lock and can't ride away (due to the security system)...what would you say to a guy loading a bike on a truck? Especially, when the bike is rolling freely.

I used to work on the top of a Horse track. The cops would sit up there and scan for theives....Cars were disappearing left and right...they were having a hard time catching them even standing on top of the building watching for it.

I have insurance....anything extra I put on is just to slow them down.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:26 PM
HogFather
Road Captain

3 words. Insurance, Insurance, Insurance.
Bottom line if they want it, their gonna get it.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to steal an Electra Glide