Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to steal an Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:03 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How hard is it to steal an Electra Glide

I just make sure I have top shelf theft insurance. Other than that I still like to secure the bike to a immovable object with a high quality lock....and I always....always try to keep my bikes within eye shot. I am also considering a disk lick with a siren.....like others said though.....its good to get your hands on a old ratty looking cover...."out of sight out of mind"!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One adder to the insurance suggestions: GET GAP INSURANCE !!!! If you're financing that ride.

Insurance companies will payoff only on "current value" in most cases. Gap insurance will pick up the difference between current value and balance owed on your loan and is not really that much more $$$.

Also be sure to add accessory insurance if you have big $ invested in add-ons.

Primo

Old 01-10-2008, 09:13 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: sldavis

All of which begs the question, why does Harley not use ignition keys? Not that that really makes them any more secure, I just wonder why they choose not to??
That's been a complaint of mine, that I put on the questionaire that Harley sends out to new buyers. The cut of my barrel key is so shallow that no way would it stay in the switch. To lock the bike, I have to fish the key out of my pocket, lock it, then back in the pocket, out of the pocket to unlock, back in the pocket to ride.

And the number of times I drove to a gas station and didn't have my key with.....[:@]

Old 01-10-2008, 09:51 PM
John WI
Intermediate

Thats why I lock and set the security system on mine everytime I get off the bike home or not. That way I have to have the key and dongle with me any time I ride or want to ride. Even if it's in a locked garage. Helps me remember the key.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:30 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Now thats Funny!!!
ORIGINAL: 99_percenter

ORIGINAL: MyFirstHD

I don't want anyone to blab any little know secrets, but how hard is it for someone to steal my bike if it's sitting on the street or in front of a hotel with the forks locked? Do you need a disc lock with motion sensor if it can only be pushed in a circle?
I've seen guys jump on their bike, turn the **** and ride. Are thieves looking for guys like this who are too lazy to "Lock it and Pocket the key" or did older Harleys have security issues?
Best anti theft device around, buy a bike cover that sez GOLD WING on it.... (c;

99%r

Old 01-11-2008, 04:54 AM
vindyl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked with a guy had his fat boy stolen in a parkin lot on bike night and it was locked. The guy sitting next to his bike said a guy got on turned the key a rode off. So a pro its no problem. I use a front disk lock it will help a little.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:13 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep I lock and set my security system too when I wlk away from the bike. With my key fob

Old 01-11-2008, 06:52 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's something interesting for people that feel safe with barrel locks and locking their bikes. Why feel that the ignition lock would stop as thief?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9bN0zfMFW4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2qnHKoCYvM&NR=1

Old 01-11-2008, 09:06 AM
cms1528
Cruiser

My glide was stolen last summer from a hotel parking lot in Michigan, it was locked up at the wheel and the fork. Either a tow truck with a grap arm, a few guys and a pickup truck or a dude with a bic pen. maybe I will return there this summer and park my 07 in the same space and lay in wait with a baseball bat...

Old 01-11-2008, 10:43 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

The pro's would have no problem taking a Harley,even in broad daylight,with people all around.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to steal an Electra Glide