Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to steal an Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Chief X
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How hard is it to steal an Electra Glide

If they want it bad enough, like stated above - it will be gone. Just don't make it easy. A good share of motorcycle thefts in this country are bikes that are pushed or ridden away.
Of course this is a sales pitch: RoadLoK. Easy to use, can't be rolled away without some other device (I had to say that because someone on here will mention skateboards under the wheels), convenient and fool proof for the rider - if you forget to unlock it, you won't damage anything.
You can go along with the theory that it's useless to secure your bike as long as it's insured just like you can go along with walking out of your house and leaving it unlocked, and leaving your keys in your car, unlocked. We all have choices...make it easy for the thief, or attempt to make it difficult so they'll take the other guys bike.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

The barrel locks can be picked with a $100 tool faster than you can open the lock with the key. Adding a cable or giant U bolt lock helps slow them down. As the old joke goes, you don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than your buddy.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:50 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at the ROT rally in Texas on 6th street standing there drinking a beer, watched 4 guys get out of a truck with trailer and watched them load up 4 bikes then leave. 20 minutes later there was a guy running around looking for his bike then 2 more people looking. These guys in the middle of town at a rally did this like they owned them. There was allot of people in the parking lot N0-BODY thought they were stealing. We were talking about how fast they were able to load 4 bikes but they did not look suspicous to us.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:50 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

ez, Thats why I dont bother to lock the forks and incase they stay locked[:@].similiar tothe gun holster idea, I sometimes like to make it look like im close by like leaveing all my crap on the bike(gloves,coat,..ect. but this back fires on me when people bring my stuff back to me and say you forgot this on your bike[:@]

Old 01-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Real_Big_Tex
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

Is it somewhat harder to steal and Electra Glide than a Street Glide? Than a Road King? A softail? Why so specific - do we think there are Electra Glide only theives out there with a keyset for Electra Glides?
Well, it is harder to steal an Ultra than a Dyna. And it's harder to steal a Dyna than a Sportster. 4 guys to lift the Ultra, 3 for the Dyna and 1 for the Sportster.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:47 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to worry any more about someone stealing your Harley. With the dealers full of them now they are no longer in short supply and have migrated way down the list of favorite bikes to steal.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:00 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of which begs the question, why does Harley not use ignition keys? Not that that really makes them any more secure, I just wonder why they choose not to??

Old 01-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Aslan
Road Master

What Electra Glide? Was there an Electra Glide parked there?
That Fast I'm afraid.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:34 PM
maddoggie
Road Master

Hey 911c2:
Funny, I was thinking the same thing, Is he fishing? I'm rigging mine to self destruct 15 seconds after ya steal it! New Harley ...one less bike/car jacker now thats a plan.

Maddoggie

Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

ORIGINAL: MyFirstHD

I don't want anyone to blab any little know secrets, but how hard is it for someone to steal my bike if it's sitting on the street or in front of a hotel with the forks locked? Do you need a disc lock with motion sensor if it can only be pushed in a circle?
I've seen guys jump on their bike, turn the **** and ride. Are thieves looking for guys like this who are too lazy to "Lock it and Pocket the key" or did older Harleys have security issues?
Is it somewhat harder to steal and Electra Glide than a Street Glide? Than a Road King? A softail? Why so specific - do we think there are Electra Glide only theives out there with a keyset for Electra Glides?
Actually I heard there was a band of thieves going around stealing Deuces so they can sell the gas tanks back to the MOCO to help get the rockers put together.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to steal an Electra Glide