Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ + Road King Classic Warning

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: HQ + Road King Classic Warning

I did a 103 build on my 07 Wide Glide last year. I had it to 135 or so in 5th gear. When I let of the gas it got a wobble. As I kept hammering it it started gittin a wobble around 80mph. I was gonna have some solid wheels installed. Also check the motor mounts. and look at the bushings in the rear swingarm. Jack the bike up and check the neck bearings.. I remember something about a dude gitin a wobble in his bike like yer talking about he had everything checked and wound up replacing the front wheel bearing and it took care of the problem. Oh yea ! Mine started when I put the Psycho Chubby bars on. I would definately git some mags simular to the mags on the EG.

OH yea I traded my wide glide in with the wobble. Never stopped to find it or git any wheels. Hope you find yer problem.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:43 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To check your spokes, get the wheels off the ground and turn them while letting a screwdriver lightly touch each one. You will hear a different sound from the loose ones. Here is where you need to pay attention......DON'T just proceed to tighten the spokes until you think they are tight, this will be a sure fire way to get your wheel wobble. You must use a dial indicator set up on the rim and work to tighten each side of the wheel until all are tight and the wheel runs true. If you have never done this......go see someone who knows how to do this before you run 100+ mph!
A lot of shops don't pay enough attention to balancing tires on mags or spokes when they install new ones or you get someone inexperienced. Know who you are dealing with.

A wheel wobble is something not to take lightly.....RIDE SAFE.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:11 AM
pkenyon1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were lucky!

I would keep praying if I were you.... riding like that does have a risk of getting you killed.

When ever shop work is done I would suggest it is always better to take things easy and make sure everything is OK BEFORE blasting up the freeway along side a big truck!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:39 AM
Jeepin_Lawyer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: biz44

A mag wheel looks better IMHO.... requires no maintenance,

I don't buy the no maintenance part, I must have spent all of 15 minutes yesterday washing, polishing and buffing my custom wheels. Mag wheels rock!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:21 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Know somebody with a Road king that has some cast aluminum wheels for sale. if you are interested in them PM me yer email address and I will send it to him dude !
Hope you figure out what's wrong with yer bike.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Xtreme
Tourer

HQ all the way , plus what a great excuse for new wheels let us know what you get bro

Old 04-17-2008, 09:00 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my thoughts exactly..love the look of spokes especially the profile wheels.. but a solid disc in the back makes sense..and its hidden ..almost

Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member

Got ride of my spokes and the thin white wall tires on my King as soon as I put enoughwear on the tires (I may have "inadvertantly" sped up the process with a few burnouts) to justify it to myself. Nothing against either, just didn't like 'em on my bike.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:35 PM
FORD63
Stage III

what is the correct procedure to tighten the spokes. Is there a toqueing requirement, stecial tool, etc. i have a 04 rk classic with 10k miles. No problems yet but would like to check. should this be left to the man to do?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys,

I appreciate all the help, but this is an old post (January). I got my spokes tighten the next day and it's all good. I will get some more rims when the rear tire need replacing.

Quick Reply: HQ + Road King Classic Warning