Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ + Road King Classic Warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: HQ + Road King Classic Warning

ORIGINAL: Manish_Hawg

Get your bike off the ground remove your bags (if applicable) and pull on the spokes withyour hand. If they wiggle and wobblethey are loose. I know HD sells a spoke wrench but I think they can be tighten with a small adjustable wrench. Mine will be tighten tonight and this will be my first time seeing this done. I don't think tightening them will cause your wheel to be out of balance but I know loose ones will cause your front end to wobble making you think your forks are about to fall off. I also know you want to try to tighten all your spokes evenly.
You want to tap them with a wrench and listen to the sound. They can be loose enough to cauase a problem, yet not be loose enough for you to see movement when you pull on them. When you tap on them, they should give a clear "ping". If you get a dull "thud" the spoke is loose.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:18 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

spokes are sharp looking but on a heavy bike, no thanks....I can cruise at 90 on my RK police without any problem....been to 100, no sweat...mag wheels all the way

Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Good excuse to dump the spokes and go for more bling!

FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

4.6lbs. & 5.4 lbs. The lighter the wheel the less the parasitic horse power loss. Drag racers on full out bikes where 1/1000 of a second is great, we get 0.2 of a second. Fast, strong, and expensive. They are not for everyone. I have them on both of my bikes. I have no intrest in bling, just the best available bar none.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/C55E0A7F03EB47DDA8D5251DF3D4ADC9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-10-2008, 11:45 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spokes suck on heavy bikes and thats just the hard truth. But harleys are not unsafe as you say. I ran my 07 road glide over a 100 many times and it was smooth as glass, my 05 RK custom runs nicely at 90 +. If your harley wobbles its got a problem, figure it out and fix it. Or I guess buy a beemer Most every police force in ga. runs harleys and has for years even though they could have bought beemers or hondas but that might change now that used cop bikes are not bringing the resale they once did. One harley dealer that sells to Atlanta PD just refused to take back a large amount of cop bikes in trade on new ones, so look for a bunch of APD bikes at the county auctions this year.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:03 PM
IronLegend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me spoked wheels have the 'look' but personally I just don't trust their integrity.When I went shopping formy used RK one of therequisites was thatit had to have cast wheels. Although I don't ride as fast as a lot of others for the speeds I do cruise at I've had nowobbles or any other issues butas the saying goes..."never say never."

Old 01-10-2008, 12:22 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: biz44

Yet another reason me and spoked wheels dont get along. Yea....sure on a MX bike, or a trail rig.....but on a big street bike, they are a thing of the past IMHO. A mag wheel looks better IMHO....will stay balanced better, requires no maintenance, and should you get a flat....can be rigged on the side of the road with a "fix a flat kit", where with a tube type tire/wheel set-up, you do not have this lux.
My thoughts [sm=exactly.gif]which is why I didn't want them on my RK,plus they cost more. I also think mags look better.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:29 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

I had the same problem with my 05 RKC,rear wheel wobble.Mine was still under warranty and MOCO replaced it without a problem.I love spoke wheels but my next bike will not have them.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:31 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only the HDand the other thin spokehave these issues. I had the Fat Daddy on 2 bikes and never had this problem. I stay burning rubber and never had a loose spoke.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:34 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

While I don't own anything with spokes anymore, the 80 spoke and fat daddy wheels gave Very good service on some past rides. The main trouble with spokes on a heavy cruiser is they're not enough spokes, or big enough spokesin the factory wheels! Heap on some extra ponies, and things go south fast. If I wanted to keep the spoke look, I'd just replace the rear wheel with a mag. (preferably a disc)

Quick Reply: HQ + Road King Classic Warning