Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6'6" Man needs new Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:55 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 6'6" Man needs new Handlebars

Will, I am only 6'1". I put 18" apes on my bike. I think they are incredible. Even a 16" would be better for you, than I think ashorter apewill, but that is my opinion... My hands sit right at shoulder height, which is perfect for me. They would be to tall for anyone under 6', but for you, I bet they would be the most comfortable. The thing is, it isn't a cheap thing to do, and for me, I had to get it right the first time. AnyoneI asked said to go 16", and if I had, I know I would not have been as happy. The bars, cables, and wires are not cheap... you would hate to spend money for a shorter bar, only to wish you had gone taller from the beginning. And don't let these stickin the muds tell you that 18" are uncomfortable, or make it hard to steer, or anything else. They are perfect for my height (also very long torso). Just something to think about. I went with www.LAChopper.com bars. I wish I had gone with the ***** F'ers that the OL talked me out of, but as far as height goes, I could not be happier... Just sayin'... PM me if you have any questions...

Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 AM
izzi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, couldn't resist[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-10-2008, 08:32 AM
gern_blannsten
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta agree with Papatravis. I put WildOne PsychoChubby 18" Apes on my King and could not be happier.
I'm 6'2 and these are at my shoulder. Very comfy. I just need to push them forward abit and they will be perfect.
Guess that's a good project for this time of year in South Dakota....

Old 01-10-2008, 10:42 AM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're gonna pay to have them put on then any indy shop will pull your stock ones off and let you try everything they got (especially this time of year when their bike sales are down).

If you're gonna do it yourself, then ya really gotta sit on a bike with the same setup as yours (stock height/seat).

Since it's hard to find any poker runs this time of year you might aska dealerclose to you to give you a holler if/whenever they roll a customer's bike out that they put bars on.

I'm still looking for my "match". [8D]

[IMG]local://upfiles/27539/FE2EE772739349B0961FD8A26D5DB288.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-10-2008, 04:30 PM
rome304
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like ape hangers will be a good choice.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Sucio
Advanced

I agree with marine. If you can, find someone with a similiar setup and ask to sit on it. I did that and the guy was so happy to talk about his bar setup, he practically threw me on his bike. I'm 6'4" and went with 16" apes. Like Papa Travis said, they don't really have a negative effect on comfort or steering, especially at slow speeds. If your like me, then the stock bars would hit your knees on slow speed turns. Not with the apes. My 16's put my hands right at shoulder height. For a guy your height, 18's would definitely work. Plus, THEY JUST LOOK COOL!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you spoken with the tech's at Wild 1? They were pretty helpful when I called them last year.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:10 PM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Whiskers

Have you spoken with the tech's at Wild 1? They were pretty helpful when I called them last year.
No sir. Not yet. I am just beginning the decision process. My big issue is finding an Indy in Northwest Arkansas who knows what the F**k he's doing. The dealership sure doesn't. Every time I go in and ask questions, I make sure to ask a different person... inevitably, I always get a contradictory answer.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:19 PM
murph3204
Road Master

Brent, I have the HD roadking 'high' bars on my 06 and it's quite a bit more comfortable than my stock ones were. I didn't want to have to change out my cables so it was either these or the softtail bars. I'm 6'9".

Old 01-11-2008, 12:59 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sucio

I agree with marine. . . .. I'm 6'4" and went with 16" apes.. . .My 16's put my hands right at shoulder height. . .
. . and they look damn good!

Quick Reply: 6'6" Man needs new Handlebars