Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Security Solution

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:49 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saddlebag Security Solution

Here's how I replaced the spring loaded clip that holds the hard saddlebags to my 2007 FLHTC.

1) I purchased two replacement springs, known by HD as "receptacles," HD part number 70909-95. I will replace the rear clips (know by HD as the "Bail Head Stud," HD part number 90834-95A.) only. The front clips/receptacles will remain.

2) I drilled and removed the two rivets that hold the spring to the receptacle.

3) I removed the OEM receptacles and stored them in case I want to reuse them.

4) At Home Depot, I purchased 2 5/16" 1 inch and 1.5 inch bolts (I didn't know the right length to buy.) I also bought two washers, and appropriate sized wing nuts. I found that 1 1/4 inch would be perfect, but not available, so I used the 1.5 inch bolts.

5) I installed the new back system using the washer that was supplied with the OEM clip. The new washer is located on the outside of the saddlebag.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:44 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Saddlebag Security Solution

Kewl...
Did the same thing a few months ago but I used carrage bolts

Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Bluerose

Great Thread. I was already telling HUbby we needed to do something about that.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:49 PM
HarlyFan
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the pix great idea will make it my next project.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:57 PM
MJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty good. [8D]

Old 01-09-2008, 07:07 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks for the idea

Old 01-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

I guess I'm a little slow or something. How does this improve the security of your bags? Can you pull the bags off of the original hardware without opening them up or what? And why do you think that wingnut is going to stay in place?

Ride well,

Jim

Old 01-09-2008, 07:43 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the metal of the clip is really soft, one can pry the OEM clip away from the receptacle with little effort. With the wing nut, the thief can not easily separate the bag from the bike. The key to this is that it will take a lot of effort and time to remove these bags. At least it is something that I can do, since the HD way is extremely flawed. What would really work is a strip of chrome to go over both the front and back connections, like the filler strips that HD sells.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:29 PM
swipter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Badfinger

I guess I'm a little slow or something. How does this improve the security of your bags? Can you pull the bags off of the original hardware without opening them up or what? And why do you think that wingnut is going to stay in place?

Ride well,

Jim
I did the same thing. I you have to use blue locktite or ithe wingnut may vibrate off. If you tighten it too much you will squish the rubber washer that is in the bag.
I didn't put the clip thing I just pass it through with a large washer and hold it there until the wingnut is tight.
Someone else had an idea about putting a skinny nut on the other side to hold the bolt in place. I bought them but the 1 1/4 bolts I bought (I think they are the size) are too short with the extra thickness of the nut. The 1 1/5 I found did not have threads far enough down so I did what he did. I don't have a vice so I could not easily cut the 1 1/5 inch bolt down, even if I could have found one with threads longer down.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 PM
swipter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Badfinger

I guess I'm a little slow or something. How does this improve the security of your bags?
Ride well,

Jim
Basically you can reach from the inside and unclip the bags to steal them. Even when they are locked. This just makes it more difficult. They can take anything if they want it bad enough but normally pass if they have to work at it too long.

Quick Reply: Saddlebag Security Solution