Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quadzilla speaker upgrade/install

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:54 PM
mrbuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default quadzilla speaker upgrade/install

here is my install of replacment speakers for the crappy one that come with the hoppe quadzilla fairing. I know many people have had questions about replacing them. I installed 2 pair of polk audio db501 5" coaxail speakers aswell as a blaupunkt tha275 pnp amp ( 2 x 75 @ 4ohm, 2x90 @2 ohm RMS)
To start with i removed the outer fairing and then the speakers. with the speaker removed a was able topry off the inner part of the grill whitch had been silicined in place, it also has two little prongs that attach it to the grill plate.Then icut the speaker basket off of the grill (saving the grill to be used later).this was done with a dremmel with a cut off wheel atachment.

Once the speaker was removed from the grill assembaly i was able to grind a small notch in the corner by each screw hole so the polk speaker would sit flush in the grill plate so that the inner grill will still set in place.

Once the grill plate is ground down to where the speaker sits flush i drilled holes to mount the polk speaker to the grill plate. Then it was back into the fairing on 2of the holes i needed to grind just a touch for the screws to clear the hole [no big deal]. once back in place i replaced the stainless hardware that was seen when stock to hold the speaker in place then with a bit of silicone i reatached the inner grill.

then i installed the amp which was pleasant small. i used 2 sets of rca'sso tokeep the fairing removable. then went to an car stereo shop where i found water proof quick disconnects for the speakers and for power,ect. all the disconnects fro the amp end are located under the seat in the empty area in front of the battery this way the bag is still removable. i also used a disconnect for the speakers up front in the neccelle.

over all this was a pretty simple installation i think it took about as long to write this and post pic. as it took to prep the speakers. sound pretty complicated but was real easy. PLUS IT F'ING ROCK !! sound 100 times better .

Old 01-09-2008, 12:55 PM
mrbuck
Road Master
Default RE: quadzilla speaker upgrade/install

SORRY THE DAMN PICTURES ARE SO BIG [:@] [:@]

Old 01-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool!! I have been trying to remove my grilles from the speaker. I still dont understand how you did it. I see the tabs on mine andI have tried to push them in to remove the grilles but have been unsuccessful.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:21 PM
mrbuck
Road Master

when you have them removed, push the little tab on the back then gently pry the grill off starting at one of the screw holes.used a stiff putty knife so it woulded scratch anything.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:33 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pics are just fine for us over 50 group
am planning on hoppes fairing for my classic
glad you posted this because i've only seen these fairings
on a display .other than the speakers does the rest of the
fairing seem to work ok as far as skipping etc.and how does your bike handle
as opposed to the windshield ?

just wundrin

Old 01-09-2008, 06:34 PM
mrbuck
Road Master

hte fairing is awsome i bought my dad a dragofly, after installing it i knew i didn't want one of those. ive got over 2000 miles on with this fairing and cant remember any skips.besides the weird size speakers i couldn't think of any thing i would change with the hoppe quadzilla fairing (well maybe the name)