Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Torque

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:20 AM
rm4040
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Torque

Most on this site seem to agree that low end torque is less with duals using straight through slips ons. What happens if you maintain the restrictions in the mufflers by using the SE street performance one piece muffler ( 80490-07/80491-07), with duals, which are EPA compliant but a little louder than stock?
Will you lose any torque and will the slip on's sound much louder?. If anyone is using this combination please let me know your thoughts.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:17 PM
grinner
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Dual Torque

Yes, you'll lose torque because you'll lose the scavaging effect of a 2:1 (or a nearly 2:1 with the stock cross-over). The science behind this is way over my head, but it's my understanding that it's not resistance that's good for torque. Rather, an exhaust can be tuned to use theexhaust pulses to create a vacuum that increases flow. I don't know if tuning is even possible with a 2:2 exhaust. I do know that a properly designed 2:1 exhaust system will absolutelykill a 2:2 exhaust system in the low-rpm range. For high-rpm range, you just want max flow. But who cares about high rpm anyway?

True duals will be louder than a 2:1 or crossover. Not sure by how much, but I'd say "noticeable". And it will sound different, too.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: grinner

Yes, you'll lose torque because you'll lose the scavaging effect of a 2:1 (or a nearly 2:1 with the stock cross-over). The science behind this is way over my head, but it's my understanding that it's not resistance that's good for torque. Rather, an exhaust can be tuned to use theexhaust pulses to create a vacuum that increases flow. I don't know if tuning is even possible with a 2:2 exhaust. I do know that a properly designed 2:1 exhaust system will absolutelykill a 2:2 exhaust system in the low-rpm range. For high-rpm range, you just want max flow. But who cares about high rpm anyway?

True duals will be louder than a 2:1 or crossover. Not sure by how much, but I'd say "noticeable". And it will sound different, too.
Excellent comments.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

ORIGINAL: grinner

Excellent comments.
And all true. I changed from V&H True Duals w/Rush 1.75 baffles to the Supermeg....much quieter and a whole lot more bottom end grunt. I'm convinced it performs better....just have to get used to the lopsided look from the rear

Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: notlost_nc
I'm convinced it performs better....just have to get used to the lopsided look from the rear
Just take off the opposite blinker or take off a mirror............even out the look a litttle bit.

LOL

Steve

Old 01-09-2008, 11:22 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of Samson crossover duals arriving any day now. I have the SE mufflers p/n 80506-07 and 80507-07 they have the removable baffles.
I will let you know howthe mufflers go with the dual headers.