Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

575's and internal wiring - yes, another question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008 | 08:15 AM
soon to be
|
Road Captain
Default 575's and internal wiring - yes, another question

Sorry folks, but i need a little more info before i start.

I am going to add 4" to clutch, brake, and throttle cables - i have decided i do not want to re-route, bend or stretch anything.

Wiring in bars - do I have enough wires already in place, or will I need to add some wire? If i do have to add wires what method did you use...1) in the middle, or 2) on the ends.

What I am use to doing is cutting the wires in somewhere in the middle, addingthe needed wire, and solderingback together with heat shrink tubing. Ihave put wires inbars several times, but this is my first HD. I am comfortable with either method, just want to learn from what others have done.

Does HD (or anyone else)make it easy and sell a pre-madeextension wire set up?

Again, thanks for any feedback...you guys arefull of great information.

Thanks,

Artie

Old 01-09-2008 | 08:53 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: 575's and internal wiring - yes, another question

You will have to extend them. I've added about 10 inches to the middle of the harness on both sides. You don't need that much, but it's a nice even number. Stagger the cuts to keep the bundle smaller.
Also, look around and you'll find the directions on how to remove the wires from the plug ends. It's kinda a pain...

Good luck

lp

Old 01-09-2008 | 08:56 AM
skykingFLHTCU
Tourer

I installed the 575's on my 07 Ultra. First do not cut the wires it is not needed. When you run them through the bars they worked great no additional wire needed. I did a + 4 on clutch and +2 on throttle/cruise made by Barnett. I removed the terminals from the plug and re-installed after I ran them through the bars. This is not a easy task but avoids having a splice in the bars. HD and others make a tool to remove terminals from the plugs that makes it very easy one you get one. check out your HD service manuel and stop by dealer to see what they use.

575's are way more comfortable it was worth it. On another note depending on which bike you have HD makes a tapered clamp that the dealer did not know about. Call or e-mail Wild one and they will give you the part #

Old 01-09-2008 | 09:07 AM
Rev00
Tourer

The little plastic pin remover is only a couple of bucks from CAT dealer but I'm not sure how much from HD.

A mini jewler's flat bladed screw driver worked fine here removing the terminals. When you remove the Orange wedge, next to each pin is a small latch, gently pry the latch back and remove the terminal.

I have NOT installed my 0575's yet, but I have mine apart and the wiring harnesses seem to be plenty long enough.

Old 01-09-2008 | 09:24 AM
soon to be
|
Road Captain

THis is the feedback I am looking for....I already have aterminal pin remover and, still are very comfortable cutting and adding wire. Sounds like I have the wire already in place...that is with no re-routing....correct?

Old 01-09-2008 | 10:14 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: skykingFLHTCU

I installed the 575's on my 07 Ultra. First do not cut the wires it is not needed. When you run them through the bars they worked great no additional wire needed. I did a + 4 on clutch and +2 on throttle/cruise made by Barnett. I removed the terminals from the plug and re-installed after I ran them through the bars. This is not a easy task but avoids having a splice in the bars. HD and others make a tool to remove terminals from the plugs that makes it very easy one you get one. check out your HD service manuel and stop by dealer to see what they use.

575's are way more comfortable it was worth it. On another note depending on which bike you have HD makes a tapered clamp that the dealer did not know about. Call or e-mail Wild one and they will give you the part #
I've done way too many Apes on these bikes....

For the 575's (which are not Apes obviously) YouDO NOTneed to extend the wires just as skykingFLHTCU mentioned.

Sorry for the misinformation on my part....

lp

Old 01-09-2008 | 01:21 PM
soon to be
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: lp

ORIGINAL: skykingFLHTCU

I've done way too many Apes on these bikes....

For the 575's (which are not Apes obviously) YouDO NOTneed to extend the wires just as skykingFLHTCU mentioned.

Sorry for the misinformation on my part....

lp
lp....do not worry...

you've provided me good info since I came here in November 07....thanks for your responses.

Old 01-09-2008 | 01:35 PM
Rev00
Tourer

BTW,
This also may help someone. The part# I was given for the recommendedLow Profile, Solid Top Clamp that fits under the radio was HD# 55917-08 Raw Steel, Requires Paint or Chrome.

Rev

Old 01-09-2008 | 01:50 PM
soon to be
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Rev00

BTW,
This also may help someone. The part# I was given for the recommendedLow Profile, Solid Top Clamp that fits under the radio was HD# 55917-08 Raw Steel, Requires Paint or Chrome.

Rev
thanks Rev00....

Old 01-09-2008 | 04:53 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Good info. Correct, you do not need to modify the wiring. There is enough length. Clutch cable and brake will however be too short. My throttle cables were long enough.

Quick Reply: 575's and internal wiring - yes, another question