Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King vs. Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Rico450r
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Road King vs. Street Glide

If I had to do it over I would have bought the SG. I did go to the dealer to see what I could get for it a month after I bought it. With the extras I had on it, it cost me $23,000 OTD. The dealer offered me $15,000. So to turn around knowing the SG was $1,500 more than my RKC stock for stock. I did the next best thing. Don't get me wrong my RK custom is a awesome bike and I love it. However I didn't realize how much I would hate the wind. Now, I don't have gauges mind you but I'm very happy with the results of my bike, which of course I have a radio now. Also I didn't realize how much I would enjoy the radio until I had one on my bike. I will probably never take the fairing off again. My 2 cents, Good luck

Rico

Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Aslan
Road Master

The King is not dead but the Glide is wearing the Crown.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 PM
CTFLHX
6th Gear

I had a 2003 Roadking Classic and loved it. After riding from Nashville, TN to Sturgis I decide the wind was too much and the idea of having a radio on the long haul was nice. The answer at the time was Dragonfly Fairing with the Sirius radio. I next realized after riding in the cold and rain I need lower fairings so I put a set of H-D vented lowers on. They work great in keeping your feet warm and shoes dry in a down pour.The problem with the Dragonfly was the wind coming in around the headlight and the lack of auto volume or handlebar volume controls. At every stoplight I had to open the waterproof cover and turn down the volume and reverse the process when underway. This may seen like no big deal but it got to be especially as the noise level increased and decreased with speed. I still had the problem on non locking bags and the worry of finding my GPS and camera missing after each meal stop. I had to change the bars on the king to make it rideable as I am sure the majority of riders have done. I never rode with out the windshield on the king except once to try it. looks nice around town but a few minuets at 80mph will make you wish you had it. The white walls look great when clean but have a few drops of rain water on the road mixing with brake dust and it looks like you never cleaned the bike..

After 30,000 miles it was time for a change. Streetglide was my answer. ABS brakes, 6 gallon tank, 96 motor,6-speed, fairing, locking bags, factory radio with auto volume and XM, blackwall tires on smooth wheels, lower fairings (from the 2003),improved speed control. If I had never owned or rode a Harley I would not have appreciated the improvements of the 2008. It is a completely different feeling bike.
Both are great choices and only with time in the saddle will you know which one will fit you biking lifestyle.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 PM
blueson2s
Intermediate

A lot of good advice here from both camps. The SG and RK are both great bikes and they can both can do serious touring and look cool for bar hopping... uh, I mean short rides.

If your main criteria is long distance touring I'd give the nod to the SG, barely. It is more comfortable and aerodynamic for 300+ a day putts. What you lose with SG though is the ability to have the unobstructed old school "the road is right in front of me" no gauges, etc., etc., experience that you can have with the RK. The RK is more versatile in it's stock form but you gotta spend some bucks if you want the tunes, fairing etc.

So, I suggest thinking about how you will mostly use the bike and go from there. The good news is, there is really no wrong choice.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Same here. Went to the dealer planning on a RKC and took the SG for a ride as well. No contest for me. Got the SG and am very happy

ORIGINAL: BaldEagleou812

Tried both before purchase,To me my the King felt as though I was leaning forward sitting position,the S Glide felt as though I was more laid back, sitting in it as opposed to on it,Couldent resist the overall feel of the S Glide.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:33 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master

The ergonomics is totally different between the two.

The RK you feel like your sitting ontop of it. The Bars are a tad short and you find yourself leaning forward. The top of the windshield is directly in your line of sight. So you slump to see through it or sit up extra straight to see over it.

The SG feels like your sitting into it. The Bars were perfect and put me in a very comfortable position. The windshield is obviously not an issue. You can put in an 8 or 10 inch windshield from Fastaire for $28.

Street Glide all the way.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:55 PM
chuckk01
Cruiser

Get the street glide, you'll be glad you did.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes get a SG, you will be sorry if you didn't. I have had several Harleys and the SG is by far my favorite, comfort, style and looks...

Old 01-09-2008, 07:40 AM
KingMe
Advanced

Last year I couldn't decide between a Road King Custom or a Street Glide. I was leaning towards the SG and my wife was leaning toward the RKC. Ultimately I got the RKC, after alittle while I came to the conclusion that I should have gotten the SG. I am not a wind in your face kind of guy, and I like guages and a stereo. I traded my RKC off last month and got a SG, I absolutely love this bike and will keep it a long time.

Make sure you have ridden both bikes and know exactly what you want in a bike, do not make the same costly mistake I made.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 AM
kjtoys
Cruiser

street glide

Quick Reply: Road King vs. Street Glide