Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Radio. Substitutes???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM
sweet street glide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio. Substitutes???

I purchased my street glide for the clean looks. I have already added a GPS unit. I don't want anything else on or around my handlebars or fairing. I also have a hard time paying $500.00 for thte XM radio through harley, but I would like to be able to operate satellite radio from my controls. Is there any aftermarket or any way to bypass the XM radio and use the Harmon Karden radio to control the satellite???? Other than the AUX input???

Thanks for your time, Mike

Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 PM
liftgator
Advanced
Default RE: XM Radio. Substitutes???

I think to get the control you want you're going to need the HD XM unit. The only other option I'm aware of is using the aux input which allows you handgrip volume control, but you'll have to mount another XM receiver somewhere.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:43 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw a HD XM unit on Ebay for $350 NIB. Keep your eyes open. Listing seems to come up every few weeks. I'll be getting one in the Spring.

EDIT: JUST CHECKED. IT'S LISTED NOW AT $350. GO FOR IT!!!

Steve L.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Sell your current Nav on Ebay.

Buy the Zumo 550 with the XM antenna. No extra clutter, and you get an awesome nav with XM built in.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:45 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

I would have to agree this Zumo is a very nice setup.. the unit also has an MP3 player built in
ORIGINAL: greg09997

Sell your current Nav on Ebay.

Buy the Zumo 550 with the XM antenna. No extra clutter, and you get an awesome nav with XM built in.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:19 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell your GPS and get a ZUMO 550...
Outside of that - No other makers (that I have ever found so far) will work with the HD HK Radio using the hand controls...

Old 01-09-2008, 05:34 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

zumo 550 would be the answer

Old 01-09-2008, 06:58 AM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I have not hooked it up yet, but I just bought a Sirius ConnectUniversal Car Tuner part #SC-C1. According to Sirius tech guys, this unit is a plug and play fit with the HD/HK Advanced Audio system. I had to order the overlay harness that you have to buy to run the HD XM unit, but instead of $500 for the HD module, this Sirius tuner is $50 complete!!!! The other thing that makes this a sweet deal for me, I have (and love) Sirius already so instead of $13/month for a new XM account, an additional Sirius radio will cost me $7. Talk about a win/win. As soon as I get the wiring harness (and get my bike back from the engine work) I will hook it up and report back to all. Keep your fingers crossed!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:41 AM
goodwrnch03
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: hoz88

OK, I have not hooked it up yet, but I just bought a Sirius ConnectUniversal Car Tuner part #SC-C1. According to Sirius tech guys, this unit is a plug and play fit with the HD/HK Advanced Audio system. I had to order the overlay harness that you have to buy to run the HD XM unit, but instead of $500 for the HD module, this Sirius tuner is $50 complete!!!! The other thing that makes this a sweet deal for me, I have (and love) Sirius already so instead of $13/month for a new XM account, an additional Sirius radio will cost me $7. Talk about a win/win. As soon as I get the wiring harness (and get my bike back from the engine work) I will hook it up and report back to all. Keep your fingers crossed!

I am interested in this set up. What is the part number for the overlay harness kit that you referenced? Also where did you buy this harness? This is great news, i am going to try to locate now....

Thanks in advance, Bo

Old 01-09-2008, 08:18 AM
mcline_1968
Advanced

ORIGINAL: hoz88

Ok I have found the SC-C1 tuner and it is about 50 bucks, however I cannot find the adaptor to connect this tuner to the HK harley Radio. I am not sure the wiring harness that is used for the Harley XM setup will work. This will be an awesome alternative to the Harley XM setup if we can figure out the adaptor issue.....
If I can find the correct harness (adaptor) I will have this setup on my bike this weekend.

Goodwrnch......Did you order this harness from harley? And to clarify, the Sirius tech advised you that the harness for the XM setup would work with their Sirius radio? Thanks for the post, this is exactly what i have been looking for if this all works as it sounds it will.

Quick Reply: XM Radio. Substitutes???