Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture on the bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:32 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Moisture on the bike

Here's the dilema: I opened up the garage today and saw the bike was dripping wet under the cover. Why is this happening when the cover is supposed to be breathable? How can I prevent this? I took the cover off to let the bike dry off. A couple buddies have recommended leaving the cover off all winter. I would like to have the cover on it to protect it while my salty cars are sitting in the garage. Any suggestions? I have carpet under the bike to stop the moisture from comin up from the ground. Was thinking about trying to construct some kind of cardboard cover to protect it all little better.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Moisture on the bike

no way to avoid it........
look in your tool box,,,, soakin wet,,
climate control/heat.. only way to stop it.
I washed+ blew dry my bikes today,, then sprayed everything with silacone,,
I squeegee my garage floor all the time,, friggin temp. changes.
once agin,, heated storage, only answer.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't mention if the bike was wet when you covered it. If the bike was dry, it could be that the humidity is/was unusually high and the moisture simply condensed on the cold metal surfaces. Even if the cover is breathable, the humidity will play a big part as to how fast evaporation occurs along with the temperature. Your profile doesn't show your location, that would help too (Florida? Alaska?)

Old 01-08-2008, 06:48 PM
backnasaddle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty typical of storage with no climate controls in changable, higher humidity climates like ours. I use a couple old bed sheets. Never anything vinyl or plastic that REALLY trap moisture no matter how many vents are in it. The carpet underneath is also going to trap moisture. I'd suggest getting rid of that altogether. I don't have a lift so I park it on wood planks. Make sure the bike is clean, lubed, and well waxed before storage. The best thing for keeping the moisture down is uncovered, but I prefer to leave the sheets on to keep dust off it. The best thing is just leave it alone. The condensation will evaporate when the the humidity goes down and the trempature warms. I do pull the sheets and wipe it down a couple time throughout the winter, though. I've never tried one of those bike bubbles, so I don't know how much they help.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:54 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the input guys. I live in Chicago and this weekend was unseasonably warm. So I am guessing that plays a huge part in it. Before I put the bike away it was washed, dried for two days, then waxed twice, stabil thrown in the tank, covered with a HD breathable cover and plugged in on a trickle charger. I wish I had room for the bubble but I don't. Part of the problem I think is that both cars are in the garage so at least 4 times a day the overhead door opens and closes so the air is warm/cold/warm/cold/warm/cold.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:58 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Nothing much you can do about it short of air conditioning system. When dew point and air temp are close to the same temp, your gonna get condensation and a cover will not do any good.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:11 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

That was another reason for an enclosed trailer! I put my bike in it in the winter months and turn on a small electric heater. A 1200 watt thermostatic controlled unit that runs just enough to keep the moisture off and warm enough to start for a nice ride if the occasion comes up. I worked great last winter and so far this winter. that way I don't need to heat the whole shop when I'm not there for weeks at a time.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:11 PM
backnasaddle
Tourer

Your welcome. Pretty much the same situation for me. I'm in northern Ohio. Sounds like you did the right things, so now we just wait. Just check it from time to time. Otherwise, leave her alone until spring. See you out there somewhere.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

One or two small fans will also prevent condensation.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

some guys, mentioned of having a fan blow on their bikes?? I might try that

Quick Reply: Moisture on the bike