Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture on the bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 PM
kart11
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Moisture on the bike

Thisjust happened to me Sat. I went to the garage to get some tools and the tire on my 67 Camaro was flat, I had it covered because I was sandblasting in the garage a few weeks ago, anyway I peeked under the cover and freaked out when I saw all that moisture , needless to say that cover wont be back on unless it on just to cover from something im doing in the garage but it will come off as soon as im done......btw the bike wasnt covered and it fogged up as soon as I backed it out of the garage the same day.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

ORIGINAL: pop1

Here's the dilema: I opened up the garage today and saw the bike was dripping wet under the cover. Why is this happening when the cover is supposed to be breathable? How can I prevent this? I took the cover off to let the bike dry off. A couple buddies have recommended leaving the cover off all winter. I would like to have the cover on it to protect it while my salty cars are sitting in the garage. Any suggestions? I have carpet under the bike to stop the moisture from comin up from the ground. Was thinking about trying to construct some kind of cardboard cover to protect it all little better.
Same here!I went in the barn and couldn't believe my eyes, it couldn't have been any wetter.There was a pool of water under it and it looked like it had been misted with a hose. So much for my breathable cover. I'll probably only use it in warmer months if at all. The light bulb idea could workI use to do this on construction jobs to keep welding rod dry etc. I guess I could build a small room like an insulated crate with an electric heater or lights inside. You could make it just bigger than the bike with doors on one side and roll it in on the jack.

Ride well,

Jim

Old 01-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Jsans
Tourer

ORIGINAL: pop1

thanks for the input guys. I live in Chicago and this weekend was unseasonably warm. So I am guessing that plays a huge part in it. Before I put the bike away it was washed, dried for two days, then waxed twice, stabil thrown in the tank, covered with a HD breathable cover and plugged in on a trickle charger. I wish I had room for the bubble but I don't. Part of the problem I think is that both cars are in the garage so at least 4 times a day the overhead door opens and closes so the air is warm/cold/warm/cold/warm/cold.
I'm in Chicago as well. I went into the attached garage and had the HD cloth cover on the bike. The weather was so strange in the 60's, and a very damp January day, very unusual.

Well the bike was dry when I removed the cover. Then, I opened the big garage door. I could see the moisture on the floor of the garage creeping backwards into the garage. IT WAS NOT RAINING. Then I watched the bike, within minutes it became soaked with moisture. I left the cover off, closed the big door, and turned on a portable electric heater w/blower and it went away. It was fine from that point on as long as I didn't open the big garage door.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:19 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is quite common in FL where the humidity is high. You can purchase a vinyl mat from Lowes or HD that will cover the concrete on the garage floor which will help somewhat. The concrete holds moisture and when the weather gets warm that moisture will rise up into the air. The mat will go a very long way in preventing that from happening. Someone also mentioned using a bedsheet type of cover, which is a good recommendation. That will allow the moisture to pass through instead of being held beneath it.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:54 AM
coolmac
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an idea, cover the bike with an electric blanket on low setting.
1) This may make the electricmeter spin, wattage???
2) How long will it last on constant duty ???

I use WD40 on my yard equipment, in the shed.
WD40 has a fogger nozzle for even application.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 AM
bucs012
Road Master

Buy a moisture cover, put your regular cover on your bike or rod, then this cover, zip it up for the winter! I do this on my bikes and hot rods. I unzip it in the spring and everything is spotless! Protects against moisture, dust etc.

To have it work 100%, you need to zip it up around December and keep shut till April or so here in Iowa.

http://www.try-tech.com/cycle-pocket/cpt-main.htm

Old 01-09-2008, 01:29 PM
quackhead
Road Master

get a refrig box and cut it in half. lay it on the floor then put the carpet on top of that. it has worked for me in the part.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Blacklion213
Cruiser

Go to a boat shop and get a silica gel kit to control water in the air, works great.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25017/19A92E7D0BDA400BB88128A0A96694C3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25017/CD3E70A8B5F34E96ADFDEF2E10E69F55.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2008, 04:40 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was told that when the temp and the dew point is with in 4 deg they will sweet try runing a fan in your garage tward your bike. insulation would help to /. mine is not insulated eather LOL.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
IronLegend
Tourer

Bikes I've had in the past # of years incl. aHonda, Yamaha and H-D XLHwere stored in an unheated shed, off the groundon a mcl. jack and covered with abreathablemcl. cover and Idid not notice any realproblems withthis method.

Currently, my FLHR is sitting in my indy's shop where it is a constant temp, bike ismoved occasiaonally to prevent flatspotting of the tires and battery is kept charged. This service isn't cheap but worth it for me for my peace of mind as this RK is the most awesome piece of machinery I've ever owned. Maybe I'm getting more **** in my old age??

Tom

Quick Reply: Moisture on the bike