Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Race Tuner

Terry convinced me to get a tuner, so I asked for it for Christmas, and I got it. Great!

Now. Do I have to get a dealer to do the mapping? Does anyone have experiance with a outside shop with this software, and was it good? Can I get a map and do it myself? Do I need a dyno?

I will go to my stealer if I have to, but I'd like to know if there is an alternative.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-09-2006, 09:43 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Race Tuner

Joe,

If you want to take full advantage of the SERT, it's best to have the custom map done by a compentant tuner on the dyno. They do have some base maps I think for the SERT and if you could find one that's very close it might work, but I still recommend the dyno tune to get the correct AFR and tuning for what you want the bike to do.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

TC had a great post the other day on this subject. If you're good with a computer I suppose you could try it, but honestly, after I looked at the PDF file and all the instructions I was lost. I know my limitations and have my dealer do my tweaking for me. When you get it right, you will love the results.

Good luck

Kicks

Old 01-09-2006, 10:00 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

you need a dyno. First time for me at stealer was a bust. next time at independent who knows how to operate a dyno made all the difference.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:24 PM
DonB
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The race tuner software has all the Harley maps already in it...you just need a serial port to usb connecter to hook up to a laptop, unless your laptop has a serial port on it...which most newer laptops don't. Don't buy one of the cheaper ser. to usb adaptors as some of them won't work on the racetuner...I bought mine at Best Buy and it was like 30.00, it works fine. If you load the software disc in your computer you will see the different maps available. Just load the map from a laptop to your bike that matches your set-up the closest and see how it runs...the maps are listed as for the type motor and for what mods....if your bike doesn't run right with the closest map, then you will have to go into the tuning mode and start tweaking the different settings. If you're not comfortable with trying to tweek the settings, it's best to take it to someone that's familar with the race tuner and have them put the bike on a dyno and do a custom map for your bike.

Unless your bike has extensive mods done to it, you should be able to load one of the maps from the software that will work fine. The maps in the racetuner are the same maps that people pay the dealer 150.00 a pop to re-flash their bikes with.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:33 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Joe

It can get pretty intense if you don't know what your doing with the computer and how to go about it. Here's a post that will show you a few things and see if you understand it and can work with it. For the best results, you should get it on a dyno .

https://www.hdforums.com/m_222256/mp.../tm.htm#222256

Old 01-10-2006, 03:01 AM
Mike2361
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '05 ultra with V&H slip-ons and Se air cleaner with the download. Does anyone know if installing the SERT will void my extended warranty??

Old 01-10-2006, 03:05 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Installing a SERT will not void your warranty. It is a genuine harley part. You should have your dealer do it for you if you are worried about your warranty. You will need to have a dealer who has a good dyno tech do your work for you if you want to get the performance you are looking for.

Terry

Old 01-10-2006, 12:01 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dyno Tune the bike, don't use the basic maps included.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:06 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto. This will get the best proformance out of your SERT for your scoot. It's money well spent.
ORIGINAL: CHEYENNE

Dyno Tune the bike, don't use the basic maps included.

Quick Reply: Race Tuner