Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 feet, 3 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Uncle Fester
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 feet, 3 wheels

Mrs Fester enjoys riding her own scoot, but her 5'0"-ness pretty much rules out Harleys. She's just too tiny for any of the models; Sportys are too top-heavy, the low-riding Softails are too heavy. She's happy for the moment with her Ridley, but would like to get a "real hog" one day before too long. So we've been looking into something triked or a sidecar. I think a sidecar would look better, but I don't know much about handling them - would she be exchanging one set of handling problems for another? Is a trike a safer (if more expensive) option for a small lady rider?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:34 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 5 feet, 3 wheels

My buddy's wife is 5 foot also and 160 pounds and she rides a road king with no issues, the bike was lowered and the seat was reshape. Jus a thought I will see if I can get you a pict of what she looks like on the bike with both feet on the ground.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe a trike would handle better for her. each has its own handling characteristics. Both have to be steered. If price is an issue, look at some used trikes. I know of a used RK trike in Columbia, SC.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Can't talk about a trike, never riden one. But I do ride fulltime with a sidecar. Yes, there are major differences in the handling of a 2-wheel bike and a bike with a sidecar. There are pros and cons to having a sidecar.

Pros - Great stability, in gravel, on rainy roads, you'll be glad you have the 3rd wheel
Nothing to have to hold up when you come to a stop. Just sit and relax. Its especially nice in a slow moving
parade
I carry anything from groceries, to camping gear, to luggage in my hack, to my huntng rifles, etc.
Increased visibility by cagers, people just naturally notice the hack, "What an unusual sight" "Cool"
My hack has a trunk, lockable, on the rear. I had the option of the trunk being converted to a gas tank, but
passed.
Has it's own brake, to assist in stopping
Side cars, at least around here, are a rare sight and I always have folks walking over to ask me about it.
One of the first questions I get is "How does it ride?", Eventually followed by,"what'd it cost?"
Your foot's not going to shot out from under you, if I set it down on something slick (like a wet painted
highway line)

Cons- Handling, you can't lean the bike anymore. Mine is a solid attachment, though you can get the soft
attachments that still lets the bike lean independent of the side car - I needed the rigid mount. With my
setup, you actually steer a sidecar rig, I guess like you would a trike.
If the hack's not attached and aligned properly it pull the to left or right,
If you "slam on brakes" the momentum of the hack will push you to the left (mine is on my right side)
If you "hammer it" when accelerating, the hack will tend to drag you to the right. But you'll quickly grow
accustomed to the previous to handling issues - I did - never I don't even notice.
$$$ - My hack cost me $5500.00 and some change, two years ago - custom two-tone paint job to match
my bike
On a dry day, I can't run as fast around mountain curves as a 2-wheeler, by on a rainy day or on gravel road, I
can run faster, safer.

Honestly, if I didn't have my handicap (right leg gone, below my hip - bike accident - got run over by a cage who ran a red light), I probably wouldn't be with sidecar. But I wanted to ride again and this is how I do it. I opted for the hack originally so I could carry my two "long" crutches in it - a trike wouldn't do it as easily.

Hope this helps, oh yeah, I purchased my hack from Motorvation Engineering, Inc. out of Shelby, Iowa - real nice folks. www.motorvation.com

Hack

Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Uncle Fester
Tourer

It's not so much flat-footing it that's the problem, as it is whether she can walk the bike around. Especially up a slope, away from a curb on a slick street, and so on.I think atrike or sidecar with reverse gear would pretty much solve her problems, but I don't know a whole lot about either.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:03 AM
cirhere2
Road Captain

Don't know anything about either one Trike or sidecar but

Tom Waits is my favorite have all cds

Old 01-08-2008, 08:06 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Uncle Fester

It's not so much flat-footing it that's the problem, as it is whether she can walk the bike around. Especially up a slope, away from a curb on a slick street, and so on.I think atrike or sidecar with reverse gear would pretty much solve her problems, but I don't know a whole lot about either.
Oh yeah, reverse. It will definitely help. I don't have a reverse (at this time) and am careful to park so that I don't have to fight a hill. I have one leg, maybe her with two, wouldn't have as much trouble. I've only been caught once rolling down into a parking spot. I had friends push me back out - has never happened since - lesson learned.

Hack

Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 01-08-2008, 09:01 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Loan Officer went with a trike after the same question. Most folks who haven't spoken to someone who does ride a hack, like btefft, don't understand the skill set required to ride/drive a hack. It is different. I have ridden since I was14 anddecided to ride again and Tour.My CFO has knee problems and 2 up long distance was out of the question.She tried the MSF on two wheels, but ultimately took the three wheels course. It is offered through Evergreen at many locations. We took the course in Northern Virginia through the Community College. She took the trike, I took the hack.
http://www.esc.org/content/05%20Moto...20Schedule.htm
about program
http://www.smsa.org/reports/restrict...ty_council.pdf

Long story... Take a course, both of you. Some two wheel riders have difficulty with the non leaning, steering issue.

Good luck and if she wants to chat send us a note.

Price

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/0E23A5C3B8E34A9C8C65DFF60ECDCC71.jpg[/IMG]

I'm in the hack

Old 01-08-2008, 09:09 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recomend a TRIKE over a SideCar - I have riden both and for me the Trike is a bit easier to handle
Have a Lady Friend that rides with our Group sometimes - she's 68 yrs old 5'2" and rides a Dyna with No problem... it's been lowered and her seat has also... Nothing for her to put on 600 miles a day..