Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshields for Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:19 PM
cterrysgd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshields for Street Glide

I've read a lot of posts on windshield heights and put a 9.5" HD windshield on today. Coverage was much better than the stock 4.5" shield. My question is if anyone has put an 8" clearview shield on with the recurve if that would give me just as much coverage as the straight 9.5" HD model?

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:41 PM
52edub
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Windshields for Street Glide

I went from the stock windshield to HD's 6' windshield and still wasn't that happy. So I purchased the 6" recurve and it made a tremendous difference. No buffeting on the helmet now, yet some wind from the sides to make it comfortable in summer. Do you see over the 9.5" windshield now? Are you getting buffeted now? I would say a recurve acts at least an inch higher than it is or even more so it might work for you. It will also look better as the 9.5" windshield is pretty tall and detracts from the Street Glide look.
matt

Old 01-07-2008, 06:59 PM
S2
Novice

Where do you acquire the recurve windshields?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:11 PM
RCS
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: S2

Where do you acquire the recurve windshields?
http://www.clearviewshields.com/

regards

Old 01-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Scootr
Road Master

I had the 9.5 HD windshield and I was looking through the top of it and driving me nuts. I now have the 8" Clearview with recurve and couldn't be happier. Great shield and I feel I have the same wind protections as the 9.5. I also had the 6" HD shield and there was too much buffetting at hwy speeds.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:42 PM
HarlyFan
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

6" Recurve is Excellent choice!!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:47 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Why not try a used stock EG Windshield and have it cut at a glass shop. They are cheap and plentiful and you can get a true custom size. Masking tape the front of the shield and use the center mounting hole as a pivot point with string and a marker to make the radius.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:45 PM
cterrysgd
Intermediate

Smundorf and Harley fan.... How tall are you guys? i'm thinking about getting that 8" with the recurve after hearing what you have to say about it. I'm 6' even and i just see over the top of the 9.5" by about an inch or so..... The 12" HD shield was right in my line of vision and distracted me big time. I think I'd get the 15" if I was gonna go cross country or on a long highway trip so that I could look through the shield all the time and not in between. For around town and short highway stints I'm trying to get the shortest shield I can get and still get decent protection from buffetting. The 9.5" shield is pretty darn good up to 70 MPH or so. Above 55 you start to feel some more air and then you get a little buffetting after 65-70. If still way better than the stock shield though.

Hope all this helps and thanks for all your help!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:47 PM
cterrysgd
Intermediate

oh.... what color choice did you get from clearview and can you see through it well at night?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:00 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I only have about 500 miles on my 08' Street Glide now....and I am on my third windshield. I liked the stock 4.5" one....but for the winter months I went with the 8" re-curve Clearview and i am very happy with it. I am 5'8" and the 8" re-curve eliminates all the buffeting on the top of my head at speeds ....well at least up to 90MPH. I am not only more comfortable I can also hear the music much better! Come the Spring....I am ordering a Clearview 6" re-curve. I like the dark tint on the shields, and have no real problem looking through it even at night if need be.

Quick Reply: Windshields for Street Glide