Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sore back

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 AM
norskehd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sore back

Ditto on the back rest - had a 07 EGC and the back rest made a big difference.I went with the Comfort Stitch Adjustable Rider Backrest, 52622-03A, first but it didn't give my wife enough leg space. I sold that one and purchased a Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide Rider Backrest Kit, 52695-04. The thiner profile allows additional passenger space.This did the trick for me and my wife - no longer have back pain or a sore butt.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a windshield. Between the addition of a wind shield and a back rest, you will gain much comfort. Unless all you do is around town riding, you are fighting the wind whether you realize it or not.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't bother to take my backrest off anymore. Best thing since sliced bread.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

I don't bother to take my backrest off anymore. Best thing since sliced bread.
Doesn't the back rest put you much further forward though?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HDbiker.....if you get the adjustable backrest you can actually move back a little. When I have mine set all the way forward I do feel like I'm sitting on the tank, but at the furtherest back position its actually too far back for me, but then I'm only 5"8".

Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Ron H
Cruiser

I've done several adjustments already mentioned to help the motorcycle fit me better: MeanCityCycles seat customization, pull-back handlebars, adjustable rider's seat back. One other product which will definitely help you out is the Back-A-Line support belt. I have found this very effective in reducing back discomfort. I had quite a bout with sciatic pain last year, and after some chiropractic treatment, I was able to ride comfortably with the Back-A-Line belt. Here's a link: http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...item=BACKALINE

Old 01-07-2008, 11:33 AM
cwilks
Banned

APES.....they're good for what ails ya

Old 01-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Windup08

HDbiker.....if you get the adjustable backrest you can actually move back a little. When I have mine set all the way forward I do feel like I'm sitting on the tank, but at the furtherest back position its actually too far back for me, but then I'm only 5"8".
Hmmmm. I'm 6'2", and Michelle and I ride together most all of the time. I'm usually able to lean back into her. Also, would it cut down on her room?

Old 01-07-2008, 12:00 PM
bobbyg12
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also say check on the bars. They could be forcing a bad position for your back that a back rest will not fix. There is a dealer near me that has the "test seats and bars" simulator, maybe you could find one near you.

Cheers,

Bobby G too!

ORIGINAL: bobbyg

Okay guys,

Myback is really starting to become an issue almost everytime I ride more than an hour or so. I was wondering what you guys think may be the best way to addressmy problem. New seat or what abouta rider backrest? I v'e talked with a couple guys that have the rider backrest and they reccomend it. Really don'twant to change the look of the bike too much if I don't have to...but my back is killin' me!I have the stock Roadking Classic seat and a stock Roadking seat. The classic has the cutout for the backrest.

Appreciate any help you can offer,

Thanks,

Bobby G

[IMG]local://upfiles/9087/5629C7AD90824510A29668327DC66C0B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Stash
Tourer

I've had surgery for ruptured discs, so I feel your pain. I have an ultra with the regular backrest and it is fantastic for me. It is actually more comfortable for me to ride my bike all day than ride in a car. I have the backrest, plus highway pegs that let me stretch my legs...and also..... I have SOOS extensions on my floorboards (move them out 3/4 to 1 inch).

If I remove my backrest, my back will start hurting within 15 minutes to 1/2 hour. I highly recommend this set-up for you and if you don't have a windshield...get one. Removing the wind pressure should also help. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Sore back