Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield height on Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield height on Ultra

The stock windshield on my 08 Ultra (which.... correct me here... is 12") hits right in the middle of my vision. I have to either inch up to see over it, or stoop down to see through it.

I am going to replace it ASAP, but am concerned that an 8" shield may be too short. I am 6'0" tall, and still want the protection of the shield, but want to be able to look over it. I really don't care to have to hold my shades or my hat on while I ride.

Would the 8" be OK, or do I need a 10". I am still a bit worried that the 10" would be too tall....

Those of you around my height..... What works best for you?

Old 01-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Bluerose
Default RE: Windshield height on Ultra

I had the same problem and currently have a 9.5" Clearview w/recurve on order. If I remember right that is about the same differenceI cut my last windshield down. Gave me enough to see over the sheild and it stayed out of my way in a corner.

In general you should measure for your windshield to be about nose height (Just above the end works well for me) you can either cut yours down or buy the closest size.

FYI the lower the shield the morebuffeting you will get...especially in colder weather.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:27 AM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's hard to say - it depends on your torso length rather than just your height. I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam and the HD 9" shield is perfect for me.
I like the top of the shield to be about 2" below my line of sight, if that makes sense. Try and mark your shield with a piece of masking tape at that point, and measure it for height.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Fla Glide
Road Captain

You should be fine with the 8"... I have the 6" and I catch the wind on my forehead ( i'm 6'0 as well) on my friends ultra with a 8"I dont feel the wind at all... I want a smoked one though looks better and I dont look thru them..

Old 01-07-2008, 12:48 AM
BARTMAN57
Cruiser

I had same problem went with 10in sheild works great I've bought a couple of them off e-bay clear and smoked good quality and price

Old 01-07-2008, 01:17 AM
narrowpath
Intermediate

I have the same problem with my new 08 Ultra. I'm buying a 9.5 " clear. I rode an 04 Ultra with a 9.5 and it works great for my height. I live in the Pacific Northwest and ride all year, so I get lots of rain drops on the windshield this time of year. The tall windshield makes it almost impossible to see the road.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say a 9-( 1/2 should work well for you. Look at the Clear View with recurve...great shield. You can call them for heigth recommendations.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Tab
Novice

I have the same problem with my 08. I'm 5'11" ish and the 12" shield is dead center of my eyeballs. Ran with a 10" on my 03 and it worked well. I almost wish there was an 11" out there. Might have to cut the 12 down to size.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 PM
jahays32
Tourer

I had the 12 and bought the 9.5.
It was great until I started wearing a full face for winter. I get a lot of buffeting that blurs my vision. So I am going to have my stock 12 cut down to 11 so that I can see over it and get rid of buffeting. I am 5'10.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a Fastaire 10" (at 5'7") and see over it just fine (I can't stand to look thru plexi at night). Lot's of factors come into play with windscreens (bike, year model, seat, personal height, body height, inseam, riding style, touring, street, etc). On top of that, everyone seems to have various preferences for viewing (and what they'll pay for a piece of plexi).

Use astrip of tape on your stock windscreen and mark a line as a reference point, then ride around the block. It'll give you a pretty good idea ofyour line of sight. Work from that.

Quick Reply: Windshield height on Ultra