Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tag/plate relocation help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:50 PM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tag/plate relocation help!

Pardon the "newbie" question.

I've seen some bikes where the plate it relocated beneath the tailight, can the forum gurus please point me in the right direction here?

1) Which way/method (kit)is most economical?
2)How much work involved?

I'd like to do this on my '08 EGClassic.

Many thanks!!

Old 01-06-2008, 12:50 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Tag/plate relocation help!

I'm no guru but J&P cycles sells a simpledevice that attaches to the bolts that your rear turn signal bar uses and your license plate attaches to it.

A more expensive alternative is the HD license plate relocation and bullet turn signal kit--it's identical to what you see on a Street Glide.

Your current license plate mounting bracket supports the rear of your tour pak, unless you have installed a detachable mounting rack. Without the detachable rack, you will need your current license plate bracket to support the rear of your TP.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 AM
mchildree
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do a search for "license plate" and "relocation" in the Touring forum only, you'll get lots of good info.

As it happens, I just finished mine yesterday and did quite a bit of reading here on this very subject. My impressions were that you have two options: buy one of the JP Cycles brackets like this one (a couple of different online sellers have these):

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...c-53328ec766ad

You'd also need to address how your license plate will be lit, since stock tailights come with the clear window up top. JP Cycles also sells a replacement for that part so that the light for the tag is directed downward. Once that's done, you have address the question about what to do to dress up the area where the old plate bracket used to be. Not sure about your model bike, but on my RKC, I had to decide whether to remove the old bar or leave it and cover the holes with something decorative. I opted to remove it and dress up the area with parts you can find with various sellers.

Your other option is to replace the whole rear fascia with that of another model that already hangs the tag down low. Not sure if you can do that with your model.

Try that search....it'll give you lots of good info.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 AM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the H-D kit on with the new turn single bar it looks good it is a little tight to do the work between the tire and the fender for me I think i would remove the rear wheel if I were to do it again but it is a easy kit to install

Old 01-06-2008, 08:13 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm wondering if the J&P Cycle mount will interfere with the rear fender tip light?