Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:39 PM
socalmoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

I see this guys on their ST1300 scoping out riders, speciall on week-ends.
WATCH OUT!
Guess where me and my boys wont be going any more.
We will spend not a penny in that area.

Anaheim police have gotten serious about loud bikes.

California - The thundering roar of motorcycles racing up and down Imperial Highway could be reduced to a whisper, thanks to a crackdown by Anaheim police and a little-known federal law.

Motorcyclists with illegally loud exhaust systems began receiving citations on Imperial Highway in Anaheim Hills after weeks of warnings.

Anaheim Police Sgt. Mike Zigmund gave a final notice to about 60 bikers at Keno's restaurant the weekend of July 14.

"We told them that this was the last warning," he said. "They were pretty cooperative."

Armed with a decibel meter, resident Ellie Oliver measured the sound of passing bikers. "The noise was deafening," she said. "I recorded readings of 115 to 135 decibels," – 34 to 54 points above the city's 81-decibel exterior noise limit.

This month, Zigmund and his crew took their own readings and began citing bikers.

"The meter really isn't necessary," he said. "The courts have said that most cops can tell which pipes are legal and which aren't."

Anaheim resident Todd Hamo, a representative of Noise Free America's Orange County chapter, said decibel meter readings "have been called into question in court."

"But," he said," there is an Environmental Protection Agency system that removes all ambiguity when enforcing (illegal exhaust pipe) noise."

Known as the label-matching system, the federal regulation requires manufacturers to place two labels on every motorcycle they make – after it has passed a noise emissions test, at the factory. One label is on the chassis, the other on the muffler. Each contains a code that is unique to the make and model of the bike. By comparing them, officers can determine at a glance whether the vehicle has the appropriate exhaust system.

If it doesn't, or if there is no label, the motorcycle is in violation of Section 4909a(2) of the Noise Control Act of 1972.

Zigmund had been unaware of the EPA regulation, but looked it up on
www.noisefree.org.

"This might explain why some of the bikers have said that dealerships will not put after-market pipes on their bikes anymore," the police officer said. "They have in the past. Just because the dealer installed them, doesn't mean they are legal, though."

Tustin resident Gordon Pearson has a noise problem in his neighborhood, too.

"Our whole society would be so much better," he said, "if we would just enforce the laws we have."

Source: The Orange County Register

Taken from bainbucket.com

Old 01-05-2008, 12:48 PM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SOCAL Riders read this!!!!

Yeah, sometimes it sucks living in the middle of nowhere, but Iowa aint so bad after all!!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:50 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Peoples Republic [:@]Funny how they can enforce a Federal law when they want to, isn't there a Federal law about illegalimigration too they say they can't enforce because it's a federal law!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:52 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

At the risk of getting flamed, let me say that I do feel that some bikes are too loud. Of course, no one feels that their bike is too loud, if anything, its that other biker who's giving us a bad name. Now, if the decibel meter is right behind the bike, say a foot or two away, I'm not sure how many bikes would pass. But I'm assuming the cops are standing a good distance away - that is more realistic to me. If I'm 100 feet away and the sound hurts my ears when revived, then yep, in my opinion, it's probably too loud.

Hack

Old 01-05-2008, 01:09 PM
courterbag
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They did the same out here (NC) a couple of times to try and make a point. So far it has not stuck, but I have seen legislation going in that states something to the fact of if the pipes are not stock (or of stock DBs, or pollution control) that they would be considered illegal. The way they are going to enforce it is through using emissions during our yearly inspections to try and make them fail any after market exhaust. Oh the joy of seeing our freedoms get stomped on. I recommend to all bikers to join ABATE.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:05 PM
cirhere2
Road Captain

If an Illegal Immigrant had loud pipes they would even see him
ORIGINAL: gilbos440rt

The Peoples Republic [:@]Funny how they can enforce a Federal law when they want to, isn't there a Federal law about illegalimigration too they say they can't enforce because it's a federal law!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Courterbag, the wife and I re-locating to NC in 4 years. Are you saying that they are going to require a smog test with a exhaust sniffer in the tail pipe like they do cars? They are supposedly going to start that here in Ca in 2010. I thought NC was street bike country??
ORIGINAL: courterbag

They did the same out here (NC) a couple of times to try and make a point. So far it has not stuck, but I have seen legislation going in that states something to the fact of if the pipes are not stock (or of stock DBs, or pollution control) that they would be considered illegal. The way they are going to enforce it is through using emissions during our yearly inspections to try and make them fail any after market exhaust. Oh the joy of seeing our freedoms get stomped on. I recommend to all bikers to join ABATE.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Billiam92407
Tourer

"Of course, no one feels that their bike is too loud, if anything, its that other biker who's giving us a bad name."

Hack, I agree. My bike isn't too loud.... but some of you other guys ....

Old 01-05-2008, 08:06 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They have been doing that for sometime now along with some other OC areas... Easy $$$ for them.... They also started in lots of other areas: Temecula Old Town on Fri - Sunday they have been know to pull you over and ticket you for noise violation.... Some of San Diego areas same thing & No California samething there...

Old 01-05-2008, 08:09 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: btefft

At the risk of getting flamed, let me say that I do feel that some bikes are too loud. Of course, no one feels that their bike is too loud, if anything, its that other biker who's giving us a bad name. Now, if the decibel meter is right behind the bike, say a foot or two away, I'm not sure how many bikes would pass. But I'm assuming the cops are standing a good distance away - that is more realistic to me. If I'm 100 feet away and the sound hurts my ears when revived, then yep, in my opinion, it's probably too loud.

Hack
No flaming here, just going to ignore that comment. I would only give you a bad name as I am one of those bikers have been for over 52 yrs............proud member of MMA
Modified Motorcyle Assc........Mass

Quick Reply: SOCAL Riders read this!!!!