Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:47 AM
rmartino55
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery tender

I have a new 07 road king and would any info on hooking up a battery tender.I,m somewhat mechanically challenged.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:50 AM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: battery tender

Lots of dealers have already installed the cable. Check with them or give the bike a good look over. If it's not installed you will have to buy the cable and take the seat off to install the cable to the battery. Your owners manual tells you how to take the seat off.(I think) buy the maintenace manual for your year and model, will be the best addition to your do it yourself tool box.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 AM
MixedNuts
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rmartino55

I have a new 07 road king and would any info on hooking up a battery tender.I,m somewhat mechanically challenged.
My '05 came with one installed already. Look around first. I have seen them by the starter motor and also hanging out between the seatand one of the side covers.
If you buy the HD battery tender it comes with the charger and aharness to wire to the battery. On my '05 it's like this.......
Remove the seat to expose the top of the battery. Remove battery cables, disconnect the Neg. cable first, then the Pos. cable.
Slip the rings from the connector harness around the battery bolts and don't forget to watch the polarity. The ring with the red marker is the Positive side.
Install the positive cable first and then the Neg. cable. Install these one at a time.Be careful not to touch the battery terminals together with your wrench or the Pos. battery post to ground. This I why I recommend you disconnect the Neg cable first.
Next slip the end of the harness through the hole in the frame so it exits between the frame and the starter motor. Reinstall your seat and your good to go.
It's really easy to do. I just gave you a little battery safety lesson too. Sorry for the long reply.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:28 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

1. REMOVE SEAT (REFER TO OWNERS MANUAL)
2. RED CLIP ON POSITIVE + CABLE
3. BLACK CLIP ON - CABLE
4. PLUG TENDERINTO WALL RECEPTICLE. USUALLY 2 PARRELL BARS AND ONEROUND HOLE
5. DISCONNECT WHEN U WANT 2 RIDE.
6. PUT SEAT BACK ON

UR KIDDING RIGHT

Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On an 07 Road King it should already be there and zip tied to the frame somewhere under the seat area. Look for the plug buy the tender at the dealer and plug it in.

Suprisingly i did not know my 07 FXDC came with one my dad bought me the connector and when we were working on my bike over xmas and we pulled the battery cover off there was one hooke to the battery and tucked in behind the battery strap. Hmmmm i knew all the larger bikes were coming with them did all the dynas come with them or just the customs.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:31 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Be sure to buy a good Battery Tender. Some of the cheaper ones either do not realy "float" (even though they say they do) or are too small for a motorcycle battery. They are rated fro 100/150 amps batteries. Your battery isat least250 or better. Both of the above will result in premature death of your battery. Now I know there will be posts saying how they paid 19.95 for their charger and it works fine, great keep using it. But they have a rating for a reason.