Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG Rear fascia/rk custom...DONE...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:36 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SG Rear fascia/rk custom...DONE...

Okay guys, I have a '05 rk custom. I got the SG rear fascia for Christmas, and started the install tonight. I figured I could just throw it on, but nooooo. Ok, here's the deal. I either do not have a plug for the tri bar run/brake light, or just can't find the damn thing. The plug on the light is a female plug. I found a socket in the brake light housing that I think will work. It is for the running lights (which a rk custom does not have). Is this the place I need to plug in the light, or am I missing where the male connector is? And, if this is the correct place, I will need to cut the female connector and replace it with a make connector. What connector do I need (PN #, please). Is it something I can pick up at a auto parts store, or does it have to be a HD part? Or, do I need to make a connector to plug this light into the same connector as where the brake light goes (in the brake light board, on the left hand side, the top socket is for running lights, and the one under it is where the brake light plugs in). And, if I need to make a connector, what are the PN of the connectors I need to buy to make it work?

The second thing is mounting it. I know I am suppose to drill the six holes for mounting the fascia, but I was thinking of going with 3m tape. For anyone that has done it this way, what type of tape do I need? Is there a specific type that I should get?

I am in the middle of the install, and even though I will not be ridding anytime soon, I want to get this done ASAP... Any help would be appreciated...

Old 01-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts
Default RE: SG Rear fascia on a rk custom...help...

PapaT.. do a search on it and if I remember Chicago Spike put one on his RG. He did use the 3M tape for sure. Not sure about the part numbers. I did a quick search and found this: https://www.hdforums.com/m_1429324/tm.htm

There's a whole lot on this subject. Post some pics when yer done!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:00 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks boogy... I have readjust about every post can find. From that, I think it was biggzed that used the 3m tape, and I PM'd him already. Now, I just need to figure out the connector thing...

Thanks again...

Old 01-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Here is the link to the 3M tape installation, PT:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1773506/m...tm.htm#1773506

The 3M double-sided tape is very thick (compared to typical two-sided tape) and has distinctive red (but see next post referencing gray)peel aways on each side. I found it at an auto parts store though my facia is mounted with the stud plates and nuts.

PT: You should have an empty chamber in the upper left corner of the tailight to receive a female, three-wire connector--on an EG, that chamber is used for the fender tip light, but since there is no fender tip lightwhen the facia is installed, it is available for the LED tri-bar light. The OEM tri-bar light is two-wires and uses the far left and far right positions; the middle chamber is left empty and is the brake light circuit; the far left is ground and the far right is run light. The accessory tri-bar LED uses all three wire locations as it is a run/brake light.

Oddly, to me at least, the SG Service Manual says the LED light is to be plugged into the Tour Pak wiring harness/plug; this harness and plug should be located under the left side cover; coiled up and zip-tied there or under the seat.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:21 AM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3m part number for the double sided tape is either 06383 7/8" or 06382 1/2" make sure you wipe down both parts with an alcohol/water mixture. I just had my glide apart last weekend and the plug for the tri-bar light assembly is located on the left side just behind the battery box. Not sure if it's the same for the EG or not.
Make sure if you use the double sided 3m tape it either black or grey. 3m sells a white version thats only good putting your kids pictures on the fridge..good luck, we be waitin for the pics..

Old 01-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just go to any auto parts store and ask for 3m bumper/moulding tape. There is an adhesion acclerator you can get too, but if you just clean the fender and the tabs of the fascia off real good with vinegar&water, then denatured alcohol after the vinegar/water,your tape will stick and not come off. Remember though, if you touch the clean places, you have to clean them again.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:36 AM
lowleveldriver
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey PapaT I don't know about the 3M tape I know it's great in many ways, but that fasica picks up a lot of wind drag. I did the drilling on my Roadking Classic. The SG fender is
pre-drilled if you find one on ebay. As for the tail light I tapped it off of the brake light not the running light. Best of luck

Trey

Old 01-05-2008, 08:40 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

checknext to your Batteryor in that area their should be a loose connector that you can use unless you have used it already on something else. i believe Biggzed used the 3M tape on his install

Old 01-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the parts on your car are held on with that 3m tape. Are any of those pieces coming off in the wind? No
I had it on when I went on my 6,000 mile ride last summer. Temps from 110 degrees F, to as low as 30 degrees F in the Rockies. Wind gusts coming at me that were 50mph and up, and I was going 80mph straight into those winds. So say 130mph sustained all the way across South Dakota. My fascia is still stuck on like it was bolted.

Bottom line, the 3m tape will hold if you apply it right

Old 01-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

PT: The connector you need is PN 73153-96BK and you will need three contacts that are used to insert the wires into the connector, PN 73191-96. The connector is the same one used on the fender tip light on an EG or RK Standard.

I had forgotten that we simply used the fender tip light connector when the tip light was removed from my EG fender.

Quick Reply: SG Rear fascia/rk custom...DONE...