Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG Rear fascia/rk custom...DONE...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 PM
mopar7
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SG Rear fascia on a rk custom...help...

Harleypingman, I’m running a SG fender and taillight. I spliced into the tour pak harness and have a second plug. I do not have an opening in my setup.

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

Mopar: Using the TP wiring harness for the LED light is the Street Glide set-up and works with the connector supplied with the LED harness. However, doing so means the TP harness is not available for a lighted TP (e.g. Ultra light bar or spoiler/LED). Using the connector from the fender tip lamp and plugging into the tailight socket preserves the TP connector for the TP.
[IMG]local://upfiles/45252/70477F2F08EB4866B7E00838E1F9EEDC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks harleypingman. I called the dealer, and he doesn't have the connectors, so I will have to go in to order them. I did stare at the bike for a good 30 minutes trying to decide if I really wanted to splice into the wiring... for the price of the parts, I think I will just wait for the connectors... besides, the weather here in NM has taken a turn for the worse, so I will not be riding anyways...

Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Mopar: Thanks for the pic. The connector in the upper left corner is for the fender tip light. If you turn your bike on, and remove that connector, nothing should change on your rear lighting.

If you have a Service manual, or the instructions for the HD license plate relocation and bullet turn signal kit (which is what it looks like you have on your bike), those instructions should also show that socket is for the fender tip light.

If you no longer have a fender tip light, don't know what that connector is doing there.

Travis: The terminals that are used for the connector you are ordering require careful crimping to install. Also, here is a link to Fast Eddie's installation on his RK Custom--I had forgotten it and he clearly says what I had forgotten about the RK not having the TP wiring harness--it also shows his solution, though his LED was the origianl version/run light only:

I used the parts list from Harleypingman. He was very helpful in assisting me on this. The only correction I would make is that you need 6 #7499 Flange Nuts not 4. Also, if you want the solid hole plugs (no antenna, no tour pack) you need two part #59749-06 Plugs instead of the Grommets.

One thing I did not realize was that I would have to drill six holes in the fender to hold the fascia sides in place. I carefully measured the fascia location and stud placement on a dealer Streetglide to get an accurate location of the hole placement and made a template to drill the holes.

I assumed the LED Tip Light would just plug in to any Roadking wiring harness. Not so. It plugs in under the Streetglide seat and the harness is specific to the Streetglide. There is, however, a tip light pin housing in all Roadking Tail Lights. In order to plug it in to the tip light pin housing in the stock tail light housing without splicing any wires I fabricated the "Y" adapter shown below. It allows the License Plate Relocation Kit and the LED Tip Light to both be plugged into the tip light pin housing in the stock tail light. There is not room in the tail light housing for the "Y" adapter so it has to be located inside of the fender and secured with the wire clips already located there. If you don't relocate the license plate you can just remove the pin housing that comes with the LED Tip Light and replace it with a socket housing and plug it into the tip light pin housing in the stock tail light.

I hope this helps as I spent too much time trying to figure out how to connect these lights without splicing wires.

Also does anyone know the part number for the "Support Tube" for the Streetglide. It is the part that has the holes for mounting the license plate on other Roadking models. I would like to replace Roadking version with the Streeglide version and get rid of the "Harley Davidson" decorative cover that comes with the License Plate Relocation Kit.

Thumbnail Image

Old 01-06-2008, 10:32 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

Thanks again HPM. I had read the write up, so I figured I would need the connector, but I was still hoping it would be easy. Oh well... I do not have the license plate relocation done, so I just need the connector, and will plug it into the empty slot on the upper left hand side... thanks again... I will post back when I get the parts...

Old 01-06-2008, 11:17 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Dam I almost bought one of those last year (thefascia) glad I didn't, looks like a PITA to get it right and with my run/stop LEDs I have to wire it in before the tailight...Good Luck Travis, let me know how it comes together and post some pics...Is it color matched or are you having it painted?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bigdaddy11311

Dam I almost bought one of those last year (thefascia) glad I didn't, looks like a PITA to get it right and with my run/stop LEDs I have to wire it in before the tailight...Good Luck Travis, let me know how it comes together and post some pics...Is it color matched or are you having it painted?
It is color matched. I have mocked it up, and it looks awesome. Just need to get those damn connectors...[:@]

Old 01-07-2008, 12:49 PM
mopar7
Tourer

Harleypingman, The plug in the top left is the license plate run light. This fender is from a 06 SG and I bought it complete with fender tip light, tail light and bullet turn signals. The pic shows the wiring before I took it apart and sent it out to paint.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

So is this thing all wired up yet?

Old 01-13-2008, 11:47 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Yeah, inquiring minds wanna know ....

Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

Nope... bike is still sitting in the garage, half done... everything is taken care of, except for the connector I had to order for the plug in to the rear brake light housing... Should be in this week... I work this Saturday... but come hell or high water, it will be done this weekend (provided the part comes in)... I will post up as soon as it is done...

Quick Reply: SG Rear fascia/rk custom...DONE...