Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG Rear fascia/rk custom...DONE...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:48 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: SG Rear fascia on a rk custom...help...

Well, I was pretty sure it was not the right plug, as it is way to big for the connector. So, those part numbers you gave me will be the connector I need to plug the LED light into the running light hole?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:56 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The part numbers I gave you are the ones to use for plugging your LED wiring into the upper left hand socket (which should be empty since you don't have a fender tip light) behind your tail light. This is a three wire receptacle--looking at it from the rear of your bike, from left to right the connections are: ground, brake, and run.

If you have a pencil light circuit tester, you can confirm this yourself. The left won't light, the center will only light if the brake is applied, and the right will carry power with or without the brake applied--with the ignition "on" of course.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:11 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

The part numbers I gave you are the ones to use for plugging your LED wiring into the upper left hand socket (which should be empty since you don't have a fender tip light) behind your tail light. This is a three wire receptacle--looking at it from the rear of your bike, from left to right the connections are: ground, brake, and run.

If you have a pencil light circuit tester, you can confirm this yourself. The left won't light, the center will only light if the brake is applied, and the right will carry power with or without the brake applied--with the ignition "on" of course.
Awesome. Thanks again. Now, I just hope my dealer has them in stock... Now, since I will be going up the inside of the fender, what can I do about securing the wires, so the do not rub against the tires?

Old 01-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Travis: The SG LED wiring uses an adhesive conduit, PN 70531-06,--the conduit adheres to the inside of the fender and carries the LED wiring up to where it joins the SG antenna cable. On your installation, you use the conduit, but bring the LED wires inside the tail light housing.

If you don't want to mess with the tail light plug or if your dealer doesn't have that connector and terminals, you could run the wiring up the left frame tube (under the chrome strut covers and tap the rear wiring harness under the seat. You will find a male/female connection (six wires): the brake light should be red/yellow and the run light should be blue; ground is black. If you are using the stock SG LED it will use the black ground and blue run light, or if you want the LED to operate only as a brake light, tap the red/yellow light. If you use this approach, you will need the same connector that is used for TP lighting that is found on EGs to connect to the SG LED wire socket. Consult your dealer's parts book for the TP connector and terminals that go in it.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:04 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

Could I just cut the end off the LED light, and splice it into the correct wires up under the seat?

Old 01-06-2008, 02:13 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Sure.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:25 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

Alright, this is the one under the seat. Which wires do I splice in to? Does it matter which side of the connection I splice in to?

[IMG]local://upfiles/12433/F42215320594431EAF970804B4237664.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 02:29 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

Here is the connector on the LED light. Which wire goes to what?

[IMG]local://upfiles/12433/9039005F5C7F49A2A8D8CFE3A393CE86.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 12:06 PM
olgreydog7
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribing

Old 01-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Travis: Since I haven't hooked up the run/brake light before, I believe the following is correct since what you are installing is a replacement for the SG run light only LED, which, on an SG, is plugged into the TP harness which you don't have on your bike. However, knowing what the TP wiring does permits a pretty good conclusion as to the wire assignments in your LED plug.

The plug on your connector probably has numbered chambers with the wires assigned as follows: chamber 1--white; chamber 2--red; and, chamber 3--black. The connection of this wiring to the KIng TP harness means that "white"is the running light; "red" is the brake light; and "black" is ground since those are the electrical functions performed with the TP wiring.

The connector at your fender will have a "blue" wire which is the running light wire (unlike your LED connector which doesn't apparently have a "blue" wire judging by the pic you posted); a "red w/ yellow" stripe wire which is the brake light; and, a "black" wire which is ground.

As for which connector to splice on your rear fender, I don't have an opinion.

Quick Reply: SG Rear fascia/rk custom...DONE...