Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Ultra or not to Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:42 PM
rflowers65
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Ultra or not to Ultra

All-

I'm cross-posting this to/from another forum and I'm sure some variation of this has been beaten like a dead horse, but please humor me. I'm handing over the keys of my Heritage Softail this weekend so that I can pick up a new FLHTC(U). I was originally thinking the EG Classic was the way for me to go, but am having second thoughts about the Ultra.

My thinking is/was:
[ul][*]Because I rarely ride in a group (except for various charity rides) that the CB & Intercom would be a waste of money.[*]I'd be just as happy w/ soft lower fairings as hard lowers.[*]I'll be riding w/out the tour-pak most of the time and therefore rear speakers (and extra lights) unless "the passenger" and I are on a trip ... and I'm not sure how well I'll hear them w/ her big **** in the way anyway! [*]I don't intend to ever sell this ... (but I said the same thing when I bought the Heritage before putting 8k miles on it in 4-5 months which is why I'm moving the the EG fwiw) ... but (just in case) resale seems perhaps better with the Ultra.[/ul]Help!

Signed,
About to be bikeless and need to decide on the next scoot now

Old 01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: To Ultra or not to Ultra

Why would you ride without the tour pak? It holds a whole case of Bud on ice.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:52 PM
rflowers65
Advanced

Good question:
- I like the looks w/out the pak
- I'm just a wee 5'8" and don't want the extra weight up that high ... the CG thing
- I don't like Bud ... but will definitely drink it if its ice cold ... and someone else is buying.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 PM
grinner
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't pick a Harley to BUY based on which one will be easiest to SELL! For heaven's sake, man. Pick the one that moves your soul!

You have riding experience, so you know what features you wish you had on the Heritage. This should be easy for you. Did you wish you had hard lowers? Did you wish you had a CB? Did you wish you had an intercom? (not sure why you'd want one of those, but whatever...) You don't need rear speakers. Front ones can be made to play plenty loud and you don't want the sound coming from behind you away. It's not like you're listening to music in surround sound! Rock n roll is meant to be heard from the front!

If you didn't wish you had these things, then don't get 'em. Cruise is the only feature I'm thinking of adding to my Classic. Funny you didn't mention cruise...

A Classic isn't a stripped down Ultra. An Ultra is a loaded-up Classic. A Standard is a blank canvas, and a Street Glide is just plain cool.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 PM
quackhead
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

Why would you ride without the tour pak? It holds a whole case of Bud on ice.
trust me...each saddlebag will do the same thing!!

rflowers65.. i would go with the EG classic. as you said, you dont need all theat extra stuff. take the savings and put exhaust, air intake, fuel programmer, and whatever else you want on the classic. the only thing on Ultra i would want is cruise control. im sure you will hear to get the ultra...but this is just my .02.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:00 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

When I bought my Standard FLHT, I did not want a touring pac nor did I want the lower fairings or an intercom unit.

Well I have had it a year and guess what I added to it.......[&:][&:][&:] *See above, not wanted list. I now have my own creation of an Ultra

I should have bought the Ultra. The only thing I like about it now is it is an Ultra with a Silver motor and no pinstripe. Don't look back and enjoy your new ride, it is going to be completely different from a Heritage Softail.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:03 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Just had to post something again since that was post #666 for me, didn't want to leave it there.

Nevermind me I am in my own world right now.....

Old 01-04-2008, 04:09 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fer us, although we primarily travel solo, the CB is an outstandin' means of road info via truckers. The lowers RULE in the winter, an' ah leave 'em on year-round. The TP? Wait 'til ya've used it fer a while - you'll find reasons NOT ta remove it!!

Old 01-04-2008, 04:17 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

If you are only 5'8", and if that's a concern, don't overlook the Street Glide. That thing is like driving a lowered Hot Rod !

Old 01-04-2008, 04:17 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell you what the cruise itself was worth the price difference between the EGC and EGUC - I would recommend the UC - that way you would never have to look back and say "what if". I think the price difference is only like 2-3K (it's just money).

Lowers are great where you can open/close the vent. Also just setup the CB to pick up nearby chatter - helpfull around town.

Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: To Ultra or not to Ultra