Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Ultra or not to Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:49 PM
dblack
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To Ultra or not to Ultra

I had the same question. Classic or Ultra? Bought the Ultra and glad I did.

I bought the Ultra just for the cruise control and took the lowers off the first day. I love the cruise and now that it's gotten cold the lowers are back on. Never thought I would use the radio much but am now hooked on XM.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:19 PM
HarlyFan
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with whoever it was that said GO ULTRA again it is so much cheaper to take off than to put back on..........Take it from one who knows first hand!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You may notice there is a common thread to this thread.
Don't seem to be a bunch of folks that bought Ultras and wish they hadn't.

IO_Dozer,

There is a little bracket available to joint the left and right saddlebag rails if You decide to remove the rear bumper. It hides inside the fender and retains structural integrity.
It makes just as much of an improvement as removing the front bumper IMO.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:23 PM
alqaadir
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultra because you can. It the best out there and itcheaper to take stuff off than add it.

And I agree with BlueRose white is the fastest

Old 01-06-2008, 07:04 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Simply a matter of asking yourself, will I want/use all the things that the Ultra gives me?

My PERSONAL feelings:

1. CB -NEVER use it
2. Intercom - NEVER use it (not a WIRED one, would like a WIRELESS system)
3. Lowers - would spend 95 percent of the time OFF the bike
4. Tail/brake lights on tourpak - the more light the better, but I dont like the looks, nor the loss of space in the tourpak. (every inch counts) Would prefer to add the spoiler/brake light.
5. Cruise control - had a bike with it, and RARELY used it. (kinda surprising to me as well)
6. Rear speakers- must have.
7. Bag liners-nice, but only $50-100 to add to another bike

I think if you really want/need 2-3 or more of the above, absolutly get the Ultra, or you will pay more in the end.

For ME, I would go with the Classic, pay $500 to add the rear speakers, and put the other $1500 into other things that I WILL use. (pipes, etc.) I personally like the 2/tone paint design of the Classic more than the Ultra, but thats me.

I think it kinda also comes down to YOUR buget. Is the extra $2000 a significant amount for you to spend on things you might not use, or do you have the financial ability to say "what the hell, its only another $30 a month on my payment"?

One thing is for SURE. It WILL cost more to add those things later on, should you want/need more than 2-3 of the 7. But also, Im pretty sure its now cheaper (as of 07) to add the speakers and (as of 08) the cruise control after the fact, than it was in previous years. But only a few hundred bucks.

One other thing, if you get a bike with a tour pak, I would ride it for at least a few months before spending the money to make the tourpak quick detach. Ive done it on 2 diff bikes, and after spending the money, I NEVER take the thing off. To convienient, as well as I really miss the rear speakers when its off. In fact, once I round up one more part, I will be replacing the quick detach on my Street glide with a permenant mount. Its funny, I love the SG look without the trunk, but I swear, mine just looks naked without it.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:03 PM
IO_Dozer
Intermediate

IO_Dozer,

There is a little bracket available to joint the left and right saddlebag rails if You decide to remove the rear bumper. It hides inside the fender and retains structural integrity.
It makes just as much of an improvement as removing the front bumper IMO.
Thanks for the Tip!!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 PM
tata455
Advanced

I guess I like everything about the Ultra except the lights on the tour-pack. They look so added on, so I guess I would want an ultra with a classic tour-pack!! Fussy aren't we!! The cruise seems like a great feature, but I don't think the CB is a big deal, but then again, if you can use it to chat with your buddy riding next to you, that would be pretty cool. I have a Classic at the moment, but see an Ultra in the future someday!! So many choices!! I want them all!!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Fla Glide
Road Captain

I got the Standard, Now it is a Classic and one day it may bea Ultra...Get what you want and make it yours.....

Old 01-07-2008, 02:01 AM
troutbum1971
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am tired of all the bad advice, Black Pearl is the fastest.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: tata455

I guess I like everything about the Ultra except the lights on the tour-pack. They look so added on, so I guess I would want an ultra with a classic tour-pack!! Fussy aren't we!! The cruise seems like a great feature, but I don't think the CB is a big deal, but then again, if you can use it to chat with your buddy riding next to you, that would be pretty cool. I have a Classic at the moment, but see an Ultra in the future someday!! So many choices!! I want them all!!
Maybe you can buy an Ultra in the same colour, with the same colour stripes and switch the tourpac before you bring it home.
Problem solved.

Quick Reply: To Ultra or not to Ultra