Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Ultra or not to Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:37 AM
Tab
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To Ultra or not to Ultra

Everyone has their own take on what bike does it for them, the Ultra does it for me.

CB - I don't use it a lot but I do use it on occasion if I ride with someone else that has a CB, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Used it quite a bit thispast year when a buddy came alongto Sturgis on his Ultra. It sure beat waving and pointing at your gas tank when either of us wanted to stop.

Intercom - use it on long trips when the wife is along for the ride. Again not something you'll use when popping down to your local watering hole but it's nice on long rides. Also the stereo is great when it's plumbed into your helmet. Short cruises I tend to listen to the stereo through the external speakers and I agree that the rear speakers are no big whoop but I like the look. It tends to fill in the back end a bit.

Lowers - they can be removed in the summer if that's your thing butI tend to leave mine on. They're great for colder weatheror if you get caught in the rain. For touring, I like the extra bit of storage space. They have never bothered me in hot weather.

Tour pack - you can purchase it with or install the quick detach if you want it off. I haven't had the desire to take mine off and I use it more than the saddlebags. Funny story about the removeable tour pack. Stayed in Deadwood while at Sturgis and one of the other riders there didn't have tour pack luggage inserts. He just unclipped the tour pack and carried it to his room

Again theanswers are very subjective (each to his own) but I personally like and use every feature on my Ultra. Ilike the Ultraenough that I purchased an 08.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:49 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

i picked the classic over the ultra because i figured it was easier to add the few ultra features i wanted than eliminate them and have it look right. IE i added the tour pak carrier and lites and will do rear speakers soon.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:20 AM
djpullen
Advanced

I will never ever be withoutcruise control on a bike again unless I build a chopper for a second bike. I originally thought about buying the hardware to take my tour pack on and off but wouldn't dream of it now. The only time I ever use my side bags is when my tour pack is completely full. The tour pack is so much handier to put stuff in. Most of my riding is too and from work so I need it to put stuff in.

You'd be amazed at how well those speakers and stereo work. I always thought they were a joke until I did some rides and rode next to a few ultras. I was riding a 75 ironhead with straight pipes and I could hear there stereo fine. I haveabout a 50 decible hearing loss and I only turn my stereo up half way or just past it. I was surprised at how well I could still hear it with my helmet on. You can turn your rear speakers off and on and it does make a big difference with them on. I'm sure I could be diagosed with ADD so I like the stereo to keep my mind occupied for those boring spots on rides. If you commute in a car, do you listen to your radio? Why not on a bike then?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Jager
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: grinner

Don't pick a Harley to BUY based on which one will be easiest to SELL! For heaven's sake, man. Pick the one that moves your soul!

That, ladies and gentlemen, is wisdom!

Old 01-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

At the risk of taking us off topic:

JBA111, I still have my rock and roll heart - and I remember those days of Led Zeppelin and the Allman Brothers and can't imagine life without Stevie Ray Vaughn's guitar. But I also remember waking up with a splitting head and not sure of how I got to where I ended up. Had to find a better way.... still love the music but left a lot of the other stuff behind!

And white is the fastest color?! Now I've really messed up - I always thought that Vivid Black was the fastest! Now I've got to consider trading my Road Glide... do you think I should get an Ultra?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Roofuss96
Road Captain

My first bagger was a E-Glide Classic, for a couple reasons. The difference in price, I saw no use for a CB radio, and I only rarely used the cassette / radio { 2002 was the last year for the cassette/radio setup } even on the Classic and don't really care for the fairing lowers. I also went the "quick detach " route and ride 80% of the time without the tourpack. Bike handles , feels and looks 100% better without it ,and I can throw it back on in short orderwhen desired.
This picture is that '02 FLHTC without the tour pack installed , can you say : Streetglide, LOL !

[IMG]local://upfiles/39392/14B4F429A19E477CA755B77280FBBB74.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-05-2008, 08:24 AM
thekidnkaren
Tourer

Bought a FLHT-PI back in Oct. I was looking at Ultra Classics at the time and decided for the money I was making a better deal. Well, the sterio went out on the day I picked it up (Long Story). Wanted music, got new radio, couldn't believe I lived without it all this time. (Have sporty too). Wife complains she is falling off the back and we are planning a trip to Mich in the spring. I Loved the look of my bike without the tour-pak so I fought the good fight (YES DEAR) and now I have a tour pak. Harley wanted about 1300 for the tour pak and all the hardware, I got a cheaper brand and did some fab work and got out of it for about $300. Thinkin with the pipes and my helmet on I may not be able to hear the sterio, shoulda got the other two speakers and the plug in. Now she is saying when we go it would be nice if we could talk on an intercom, we talk fine without helmets but, we will have to wear them for our trip. anyone see where this is heading? Yup. I think I shoulda just bought the ultra, I coulda taken off what I didn't want until needed and had the best of both worlds at my choice.

Special note: Bluerose/whiteknight White may be faster in the daytime but, Black rules the night!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

Touring bikes were flying out the door of my dealer last September and two literally sold while I was looking at them. We actually thought we bought one only to find out it was sold. A EGC came in the next day and we bought it while they were assembling it on the lift. During the discussions with my salesman it was "you can always add that later etc." Unfortunately, I got the idea ( my fault) that everything was plug&play and you just buy the CB for example, and plug it in.

Well, I went back to add the intercom system assuming everything was there andI probably just needed the headsets and a cable. I was shocked to discover that parts alone would run $1617.60plus labor.....

I love my bike and this setback isn't the end of the world but had I been a little more diligent or inquisitive I'd be riding an Ultra and may yet. My dealer is a good one and they are putting together an offerto put me on an Ultrathey have in stock.I told them it would be too much and they claim they will pleasantly surprise me. We'll see. Go with the Ultra!

Ride well,

Jim

Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

86 Classic, 91 Ultra, 97 Ultra, 02 Ultra. Ultra, trust me. Ya won`t be sorry.[sm=trust_me.gif] [sm=biker.gif] Nuff said!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:04 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I AM SURE YOU HAVE HAD ALL THE ADVISE YOU CAN STAND SO I WILL JUST SAY:GO WITH "THE TOP OF THE LINE,FLAGSHIP OF THE FLEET"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE AN ULTRA RIDER.LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDE AND IF YOU MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION,I WILL TEACH YOU THE SECRET HANDSHAKE.

Quick Reply: To Ultra or not to Ultra