Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Ultra or not to Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: To Ultra or not to Ultra

The Ultra is hard to beat for a touring bike.You will love the radio(I always said who needs a freakin radio on a motorcycle.I found out I do.I found out with my Roadking that having a tour pack is a good thing.I took it off once and missed it.Cruise allows you to ride farther,more comfortably.I dont use the cb or the intercom-but they are there if i ever want to.My buddy bought what was my second choice-a streetglide.He has added a tourpack and the hard lowers and wishes he had bought the Ultra.What you want is entirely up to you-my wife can handle the Ultra im sure you could to

Old 01-04-2008, 07:39 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been beating the question about the Ultra or classic, or King as some have noticed by my posts that held polls in them. Honestly they are all GREAT bikes. Each one of them have their place. I agree with Pastor John I can not figure out what I would do with a radio. When I get on a bike I want to hear a good set of pipes and wind only. Other noises come easily any time I want them. So have I made up my mind? No not completely. Tonights mood I want the Classic and strip it down to be a Street glide. Yesterday the King. Tomorrow with a girl friend the Ultra. They are all great bikes. Unfortunately I ride a variety of different ways and each has its specialty. Love to feel the wind on a King with out the windshield. What ever a person buys if it makes them feel free and good it cant be a wrong choice. My Heritage I love it for under 200 mile distances. Rather have it than any of the touring bikes for town driving. Oh well if I get rich one day i will just get them all. [sm=wakeup.gif] [sm=teetertooter.gif] [sm=smiley8.gif][sm=smiley33.gif][sm=smiley20.gif] [sm=smiley17.gif]

Old 01-04-2008, 07:52 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Write down ALL the differences including paint color and tank badges. The hard lowers for one, look way better than the soft ones. Cruise control is awesome. The color options and tank badges are way nicer. You may just end up missing those rear speakers after all. CB may come in handy if you get in trouble or get lost. You are gonna end up with that tour pack on some of the time, and the extra lights do look cool, and of course there's the safety factor have a friend who bought the Classic and wishes now that he got the ultra for alot of the reasons above!! Happy shopping!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:10 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

It seems to me that you MIGHT have some regrets if you buy anything but the Ultra (and you WILL like the radio...honest!).

Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to put my 2 cents in...
I had a Super Glide and was going to get the EG, I looked at all the extra things I may or may not want and ended up getting the Ultra and love it, I strip it down in the summer by removing the tour pac (quick disconnect hardware), I lowered the rear, change out the windshield and remove the lowers and I have cool looking personalized version of a street glide.
I have not thought twice about my decesion.

Now, get what makes YOU happy and what makes YOU excited.
I dont think you can go wrong with eiter

Old 01-04-2008, 09:03 PM
wolfjack
Advanced

I went from an 04 classic to a 06 ultra then back to an 08 classic. I didn't use anything on the ultra except the cruise, which I had on the 04 as well as the 08...I felt like I got alot more wind on the ultra withor without the lowers. I have come to the conclusion the the rear speakers catch alot of wind and it circles around me when riding solo because of their angle...Any thoughts on this???

Old 01-04-2008, 09:23 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DI75

Write down ALL the differences including paint color and tank badges. The hard lowers for one, look way better than the soft ones. Cruise control is awesome. The color options and tank badges are way nicer. You may just end up missing those rear speakers after all. CB may come in handy if you get in trouble or get lost. You are gonna end up with that tour pack on some of the time, and the extra lights do look cool, and of course there's the safety factor have a friend who bought the Classic and wishes now that he got the ultra for alot of the reasons above!! Happy shopping!!!!!!!!!!
DI75,

That is a might fine looking bike you have there. WOW beautiful.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HD Jake

I have to put my 2 cents in...
I had a Super Glide and was going to get the EG, I looked at all the extra things I may or may not want and ended up getting the Ultra and love it, I strip it down in the summer by removing the tour pac (quick disconnect hardware), I lowered the rear, change out the windshield and remove the lowers and I have cool looking personalized version of a street glide.
I have not thought twice about my decesion.

Now, get what makes YOU happy and what makes YOU excited.
I dont think you can go wrong with eiter
Honestly I have been working on what you have done in my head. Never thought about removing the lowers. Your set up is exactly what I was thinking I wanted to do for summer only. Winter comes turn it into a fully dressed ultra. The ultra if handled properly can be the true ultimate sports ride and touring bike. I have been torn between the two ideas. Love to cruise sports style but when I want to go on a long trip I want a touring bike. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I sold my '07 Heritage and bought an '08 EGC with ABS and cruise. Now 6 months later it is almost an Ultra, just missing the Tour-Pac light bar. I'm going to get that and have it painted to match.

I thought I would have no use for the radio but it hasn't been turned off yet. I use the CB to listen to traffic info from the truckers while commuting to work.

I gotta update my picture soon to reflect the update to an Ultra.

And Bev is right, white is the fastest color (and will be even faster next week after my Stage 2 103" install).

Old 01-05-2008, 12:28 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

Hay pastor John the best reason for me to play the radio when i"m rideing is it helps drown out all those LIL VOICES in ma head!!
Man if you ever had a Rock N Roll Heart you will LOVE the Radio on the Harley Davidson ElectraGlide!!!

Quick Reply: To Ultra or not to Ultra