Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Ultra or not to Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: To Ultra or not to Ultra

When I first heard of cruise control on my Road King, I was amused - why in the world would anyone want or need that? Then I went on some long trips that included interstates and I became a believer. When I traded for a Road Glide, that was the first thing I looked for!

The Ultra is fantastic, but a bit much for what I need. But now that I'm riding in winter weather, I wonder if the lowers would be a nice addition. Not crazy about the looks of the tourpak, and I still can't understand the value of a stereo on a bike, but others swear by both of them. I suppose you can't go wrong with either of the Glides - and you can always add the other options down the road if you want them.... at a high price.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Trapskelly
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned a Sporty, a Heritage Softail, a RKC and finally
landed on a 07'Ultra Classic. Loved um allfor different reasons.
Get what is gonna fit your wants and needs. I'm at a place where my"GezzerGlide" fits my A!ss just right!

You might consider a StreetGlide.......great looks and ride.
Just my.02

Old 01-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Bluerose

I got the Ultra because....

[ul][*]Figured it had everything and I dont plan on changing bikes for a really really really long time. (By threat of death from Hubby [&:])[*]Dont have to use the CB or intercom but I have them if I want them. I ride with my daughter once in a while so I will usedthe intercomnow and again.[*]I won't be going...."Wish I had X like the ultra." and have to spend the money anyway.[*]I am making my Tour Pak detachable. I learned my lesson though with my Deluxe...once you start using one you don't go back. But once in a while I like to remove it for a day ride and like the looks also.[*]Personally I commute to work and find the more lights I can have the better if it gets dark. That's the plus of the lighted tour pak...I see too many bikes that are hard to see because they lack decent lights.[*]thinking about getting the hardwar to make the lower fairings quick detach so I can take them off for the summer heat.[*]I'm a 5'8" girl and have no problems with the height of the tour pak or having a passenger and the tour pak...so I have no idea what that reference is about.[/ul]
Seriously though, like grinner said..."Pick the one that moves your soul!".

Old 01-04-2008, 05:04 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I never thought I would want an Ultra but sure glad I did. As far as CG, I'm 5'8" and with my wife and all our gear, bike handles great. I very seldom ride my Heritage any more because we have gotten spoiled.
Have the helmet speakers so we use the intercom quite a bit and enjoy the music.
Get what makes you happy. As in other posts, if you go Ultra you can always take stuff off if you want and then reinstall if need be.
Good luck,

Old 01-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer

I just picked up my new Ultra a week ago and I am already sold on never looking back.

The only reason I got the Ultra is because the Road King just wasn't enough and none of the other touring bikes are available in POSE Package (saving me a few Grand).

Didn't think I would use the cruise at all, or the radio much.... and figured on taking off that tour pak as soon as I got home. Didn't much care for the lowers.... or a lot of the other bells and whistles.

I was Wrong on all counts. The tour pak is great and will never come off.... cruise is a must!!!.... I am loving the radio.... Lowers are unbelievable. I rode 200 miles home in near freezing temps and was quite comfy. I'm waiting on my new exhaust to arrive.... will complete the stage 1 later, and maybe a seat down the road.

I would strongly suggest the Ultra if you ride as much as it sounds like you do.
If you are sure you don't need the extras.... go with the Street Glide. It's an awfully sexy bike.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:19 PM
rsofa
Road Captain

I too thought the same thing about the tour pack....I was ready to buy the quick detatch kit after I had the bike...But after putting a few miles on it I use it all the time and when the wife is on board I find myself looking around every now and then to see if she is still there!!! No problem with CG that I can find at all!! You will notice the motor dances around way more that the softail's but it's not noticable at all while riding only at an idle!! Good luck with your choice!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Ultra is awesome...I came from a heritage...Ultra is awesome

Old 01-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Ultra61

Ultra is awesome...I came from a heritage...Ultra is awesome
And White is the fastest color too!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:50 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My next bagger is going to be an Ultra. I'd really like to have the cruise and fairing lowers.
I'm 5'9" and have no problem handling my Standard with Tour Pak 2 up. The TP is the single greatest piece of motorcycle luggage EVER. I bet you use it a lot more than you think.

You can't lose either way (classic or ultra), but a year from now if you decide you'd like the lowers for the cool weather, and figure that cruise is pretty nice...

Old 01-04-2008, 05:53 PM
gene01
Road Captain

I see a lot of posts about this, most that i have seen try to convince themselves that they do not want the Ultra a month or 3 later decide that they need to upgrade, spend more money and end up witrh the Ultra they really wanted in the first place..... even after buying the Ultra you will find your self adding something.... love those creature features.... I added factory XM radio, bluetooth, thetour pak rack, the saddle bag covers, front bra , different grips, se heavy breather air cleaner assy, sert, vance and hines big shot true duals , a garmin zumo 550,factory alarm, garage door opener, heated seat, many pieces of chrome, ...... thant is on the 2008 Ultra, on my 2007 Ultra, it has lots more....we are men, we like to tinker, never satisfied... at leaset im not... I bet your not either..... it is all worth it as long as we enjooy it and ride enough to make it worth while, I ride 2-4 thousand miles a month..

Quick Reply: To Ultra or not to Ultra