Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Use

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:03 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Battery Tender Use

I keep a battery tender on daily. My current battery is about 30 months old. I have many electrical accessories installed and am really taxing my system. I noticed that after a few hours as usual the green light came on indicating full charge and going to float mode. Without any load a couple of days later the red light reappeared indicating a low or charge state. It has not turned green again after 2 days. It has gotton prety coldgoing from about55degrees down to the high 20s. My question is : Is the tender doing its job or is it shot? The bike started right up and I left the tender connected while I ran it for about a minute and the light stayed green the whole time it was running. After I shut it off the light went immediately back to red.. AmI OK or is the charger/tender shot? COMMENTS PLEASE. THANKS GUYS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL. MACK

Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 AM
IO_Dozer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery Tender Use

I had a similar issue once, but it turned out to be the battery...NOT the tender. The bike started when i first noticed it, but a couple of days later it was starting to struggle a bit at start up.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:07 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah'm with Dozer on this one - sounds ta me like ya've got a battery fixin' ta go south on ya. Pull all load off the battery, then charge it fully, test voltage, allow ta sit 24 hours an' test again. Bet yer gonna find a voltage loss...

Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Puzzled
Banned

I agree with the guys above, it sounds like the battery is on its way out.

What for a charging system do you have on the bike, what amp?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:14 AM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

The "Seasoned" riders that I ride with sayreplacethe battery every 2 years. So far I've traded before that happens, but it seems to be a safe bet, and may save you from being stuck out in BFE with a dead battery..

Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Puzzled
Banned

I was in BFE once when a battery croaked. Not a nice place to be!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the battery on my 02 Dyna go out on me last summer, took the stator with it and was told I was luck not to loose the voltage regulator. I will be replacing batteries at least every 3 years on my 08 UC. I would also recommend not to use one of the cheapo Wal-Mart M/C batteries....I've heard horror stories about those when put in a Harley.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you get the red light again when you think it should be green try wiggling the connector. Depending on which battery tender you have there's an issue with the male ends of the connectors. They become compressed with use & don't make good contact. Simply use a pocket knife in the slot in the side of the male connector to spread them enough to make good contact. I have three tenders & have to make this little adjustment several times a year. Takes about 15 seconds................

Old 01-04-2008, 08:20 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

30 MONTHS IS ABOUT ENUFF.. BUT TRY TAKING THE BATT OUT AND BRINGING IT INDOORS WHERE ITS WARMER. THATS WHAT IVE DONE FOR THE PAST 25 YEARS !
PS HD BATTERIES BASICALLY SUCK. TRY A DIE HARD FROM SEARS

Old 01-04-2008, 08:29 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I have the larger charging system of 45amp I believe which came stock in 03. In any case it is an 03 ULTRA with a ton of electrical stuff and the stock charging system. Will try all suggestions. In the meantime,if you think of anything else,please let me know. And since I work nfor a dealership I will definitely be going with an HD battery. With my liberal discount I cant afford to do otherwise. I am also going to have one of our techs load test it. THANKS, MACK

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Use