Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! MAJOR Prob!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HELP! MAJOR Prob!!!

Ok Dudes,
Buddy bought '04 RG. Did some customization to the appearance.
He installed Cycle Visions Bagger Lights. While he was wiring these lights to the main harness (harness under fender) he shorted/tripped something out. Now there is no horn, no turn signals, no power to that harness except 1 wire, I think the blue wire. Also, no lights in the speedo and tach. Installed a new brake light switch relay, checked all fuses...still nothing!

Did he potentially fry or send that factory security system module (under the seat)into a frenzy? I believe that the prob resides with the security system, somehow.

Can anyone lead me in a direction to help him get this resolved without spending tons of money at the stealership?

THANKS!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:32 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HELP! MAJOR Prob!!!

Did you take the side cover off and check the fuses? Sorry, reread the post and saw how stupid i am.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:32 PM
impala
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did you ck the fuses?

I would ck them again with a test light.

also just use the test light to find out where you loose power and the open is there. (easier said than done)

no test light? swap fuses to test.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:34 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: stafford

Did you take the side cover off and check the fuses?
Yes, fuses are fine. Installed new brake light switch relay. Main power fuse is fine.

I was standing there when he did this. When he hooked a wire up, there was a faint "pop"...then nothing. No more power to that harness.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:35 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: impala

how did you ck the fuses?

I would ck them again with a test light.

also just use the test light to find out where you loose power and the open is there. (easier said than done)

no test light? swap fuses to test.
Fuses were checked with an ohm meter set on audible.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there is a resettable fuse under the left side cover. I touched my starter wire to ground and it tripped, I removed it and reinstalled it and it worked.
Not 100% sure onthis, but its worth a try.

good luck

Just checked and it's just a fuse (Maxie Fuse) don't know if it resets something when removed, or it was just dumb luck on my part. Sorry.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:29 AM
trapperdog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey badpiggy, had some what of a similar problem in the gf's street glide (SGChick in this forrum) that turned out to be an existing ongoing short. Was your friends install a plug and play or cut and splice? Were installed lights removed and problem still existed?During installation, wereany ground connections interupted?, Checked and tightened? As I recall, all the rear lights, signals, horn etc, run off the yellow/orange power wire, different circuits I know, but something to ckeck.Did you unplug the wire harnesses under the seat and check plugs with meter/light, thus determining if the problem exists fore or aft of the seat? Good luck, I have been there. THe only solace is how much you learn in the process. Keep us posted, Roger

Old 01-04-2008, 10:11 AM
bravo326
Banned

When installing a new handlebar on my '07 Ultra I disconnected the battery and when I tried to start the bike after completing the project it was as dead as a hammer. Only the alarm light came on; no other power. I finally disconnected and reconnected the two plugs under the seat and, low and behold, it must have reset the alarm module and the bike fired right up. Don't know if that has anything to do with your problem, but I thought it might be worth considering.
Good luck.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:48 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would look at the wiring diagram and see what all those systems have in common. There has to be something.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:20 PM
mlb
6th Gear
Default Similar problem - one solution

I found the problem!
I couldn’t wait for the special order schematics/service manual that is due next week. I traced the wires the old fashioned way, by DVM (Digital Volt Meter) and found the problem. It was no pinched wires, no blown fuse, but the ignition switch apparently cannot take much of a thump without breaking one of the contact points. Harley has a great color coded wiring scheme and if you have the “no turn signals, no horn, and no brake lights” scenario then check the hot side of the accessory fuse that powers those components. The fuse is in the bottom second to last column as you face the fuse panel. Take a DVM or analog volt meter and see if your hot side – left side of the fuse with a red with blue strip wire feeding it - shows 12V’s with the ignition turned on. If you don’t have power there, you probably have a bad ignition switch. This is on my 2008 Dyna Low Rider.