Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander 2008 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:42 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander 2008 Touring

I have posted this elsewhere but have had only a few answers please let me know what you think - thanks in advance.
Because it looks to me like the install of a PCIII on an 08 w/ABS is a PIA I went and checked outwhat my dealer couldl do for me (partly because they have a part/install deal going too) the guy who does the tuning and dyno runs said that he has a couple of units that Dynojet sent him to "test" he said he would put in my bike and make me a custom map for $500. I see that FuelMoto sells this unit for less than the listed price, so I am sure he is going on list price and I am not sure how much labor would cost but like I said above it looks to be a pain in the a$$. What do you all think about this price? This is for a stock screaming eagle roadking FLHRSE that maybe one day I will put pipes and and air cleaner on.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 PM
gravytrain7
Stage I

I had to do pretty much the same thing that CigarCritic describes in his post on my '08 Street Glide with ABS. I'm not sure there is any way around 'trimming' the ECM tray to get the connector to fit. Dynojet states on their site that the tray needs to be modified before installation on the 105th anniversary models and to contact them. I think they probably should change that statement to include any '08 touring bike with ABS.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:58 PM
TNTHarley
Cruiser

I installed a PCIII today on my '08 RKC with ABS. It becomes real obvious that you need to trim the tray to get everything back in. Just to make sure I wasn't missing something I called DynoJet and asked if they forgot to mention in the instructions that the tray needs trimming with ABS. He said..."Uhhh - yup!" So I got the Dremel out and took some material off by the positive terminal in the lower left and also trimmed by the lower right. Everything went back together nicely. I downloaded the stock map as I have done nothing to my bike yet and did it make a difference. The bike runs smoother and has more torque. Didn't seem to lug in low speed traffic as much either. I'm a happy camper!

Old 11-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Mikeman
Intermediate

I'm trying to wedge it in there myself and there is just no fricken way. Glad I checked with you guys, Guess I need to do a little trim job (I'm scared)

Old 11-22-2008, 07:52 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default message

And thanks for sharing that with us!
Originally Posted by MustBBrent
This was a great post... unlike mine today. I have had nothing important to say today.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:20 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,532 Posts

Originally Posted by CigarCritic

Got the custom map from Jamie for his custom baffles and the "seat of the pants test" is no where near as strong as it was with the Ovals and its mapping. The Oval mapping had some seriously long torque where as the Rush mapping is short lived at the top end and dies on the highway. I'll see what happens when the custom baffles arrive but I don't think they are going to offer much more, but I could be wrong.

As far as sound, the Ovals win hands down. The Russ pipes sound very good but they are a bit hollow and they don't bark very well when you throttle down as the Ovals do. They are not much louder than stock, imo.

I do have decel popping with the Rush pipes but a lot less than the Ovals had and to be fair, the map I'm using is for a 1.75 and 2.0 custom baffle setup.

It V&H made a quieter Oval, I'd jump on another set. I'll report back after I install the custom baffles from Jamie and work out the map a little better. If needed, I have the bike dyno'd but I'm going to be pretty pissed at FuelMoto If I have to do that as they sure as hell market they have the best mapping out there. If I have to pay for a dyno I will be at the cost of what I wanted in the first place, a SERT.[/align] [/align] [/align]
i would reserve final judgement until you get the custom baffles installed. things could change dramatically by then.

when i first installed my v&h bigshot duals, i had a ton of decel popping. but i understood why. the stock baffles on those pipes make them almost like drag pipes, no back pressure. after i installed the quiet baffles (which did not really quiet them, but gave them a more deeper, mellow tone) the decel pop was reduced substantially.

every bike is gonna run a little different, so a 'dynoed' map from one bike is not necessarily gonna be the optimum for a different bike. however, it will get you most of the way there, like 99%. jamie does have a dyno on site, so i trust his map. now you might be able to find someone with a similar setup who had his bike dynoed for different parameters (more mpg, more torque, whatever) and be able to get a copy of that and use whichever feels better to the 'seat of the pants'.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:38 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can program out the decel poping.