Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HID Headlight

HID's usually blank out the AM band. Too much RF getting out of the ballast container. Here's a company that I used to buy 2 HID's for my current ride. The low beams stay on when I switch to high beams (stock setup). Very happy with the results although in my bike, room to mount the ballasts was hard to find. Both of my bulbs and ballasts were made in Japan. Some are also made in Germany - some in Taiwan. Check out this company for good quality kits and pricing (my 2 bulbs/ballasts were $220 total). http://www.hidevolution.com/

Old 04-13-2008, 07:04 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Howard, ah'm runnin' the modulator in mah dual-lamp equipped '07 UC, which is why ah've avoided HID to this point - but ya mentioned that you kin set up the spots w/HID? What's the cost on that? Ah realize that many folks think the most important thing is "lookin' cool" - but ah'd rather SEE AND BE SEEN.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:00 PM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

HID's usually blank out the AM band. Too much RF getting out of the ballast container.

Nope......... The AM band is fine. No problems with the Radio on any band. My ballasts are 8" away from the radio and the igniters are right below the ballasts.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Tenn
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

recieved my two kits for the fltr today from motorcycle metal (howard)
he does business the way i like it and recieved them in a few days.
hopefully next week i'll be raving about them.

inside of my fairing is gonna be jammed after this. 3 hawg-wired amps, two crossovers and a digital ant. now 2hid kits.

ride safe

TN

Old 04-18-2008, 05:06 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

I will be next to the phone if you need assistance. I just sent them & you are already posting. A new record. Look at the bulb. It does not look like the ones on e-Bay!

The shield also comes with it if you wish to use it for light focus. Your option and demands. Haywood727 prefers his without. But than again he has got poler bears chasing him so I guess he needs them (a joke, them zany Canadians).

I only sell the best components, the guys on e-Bay sell HID kits cheaper than what I can buy my HID kits for. The bottom line is quality. If you have a problem, you see me. Component issues, see me. If you are on the road and you hit your light, I'll send you a new one to the place of your choosing. If the bulb is not damaged any you are within your warranty period, no problems! You do not get a recording on Sundays, you get me (unless I am riding than I call you back @ my next stop). I only sell one kind of HID. The one that works for your Harley! I sell only one color, 6000K, the color of the sun!

TN, like the others that have become before you, customer service is more important after you receive the item than before you pay. This goes for the life of our relationship! Problems, call - I fix them - ME!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:09 PM
wuznme
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't read thru this whole thread; I have a HID Bulb/Ballast coming in next week for my FLHR. This is from a seller on eBaythat Ihave used his HID kits for cars/trucks with good luck. But for $60 it wasworth a try for the bike.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 PM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: continentaldrifter

Well, i ordered my light for my SG, due to overpopulation of wildlife here in Co, now.........Motorcyclemetal (Fast Harley) mentioned a switch be wired in to keep juice from getting to the relay fulltime..........for those with his set-up, where are you mounting this switch?
I did mine a little differently. Howard and I discussed how you could run a separate switch. I could still do it, but I went with the "Kiss" principal for now.If you want toa secondary switch, Howard can walk you through it. He's a great source of knowledge.

I used the adaptor that comes with the kit. It plugs right into the OEM plug that plugs into the normal H4 light. That's where the power on mine to the ballast is coming from. There is already a relay in the RG to the lights. Identical to the relay that comes with the kit. I traced it in the wiring diagram that's in the service manual. I wanted to make sure if there was anything else on that relay. Nothing but the signal lights. I figured itwas safe enough. So far so good.

I did take the shields off of my lights. I was getting a "Cat Eye" look with just the top of the reflector lit up. The RG doesn't have a shield around the H4 bulbs. The reflectors are made to not need one. I found this out when I was aiming the lights. I took off the shields and got even more light.

I did also move my igniters from where they were in the pictures to just below the ballasts. Next time I take the fairing off ,I promised Howard I'd take a few new pictures of how I set it up.

Hey Howard, any idea how I can mount them to my dog sled??

Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tenn

recieved my two kits for the fltr today from motorcycle metal (howard)
he does business the way i like it and recieved them in a few days.
hopefully next week i'll be raving about them.

inside of my fairing is gonna be jammed after this. 3 hawg-wired amps, two crossovers and a digital ant. now 2&nbsp\\;hid kits.

ride safe

TN
Howdidyou make out? Was it easy and how did you like the difference in light output?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 AM
johnz66
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love the HID i put in my VW so i found a set on ebay for like $75 which is ridicuilously cheap and it has enough parts to do 2 bikes. so i got the 8000k kit and installed it on my 08 sg and i absolutly love them, the light is so pure and crisp its unreal

Old 07-09-2008, 09:54 AM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great information got me sold Fast Harley got them on my short list of must items to buy.&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: HID Headlight