Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:34 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HID Headlight

ORIGINAL: Puzzled

ORIGINAL: FastHarley
I think you are speaking of a Roadglide? If you are thinking of a 2X bulb system that is on a FL Ultra or such, you need to check the sockets. The next thing is the lens. The light needs to be reflected in the correct patern. As far as putting 2 bulbs in the HD 2X Lens, I do not think it will work. All you need is one bulb that is both high & low beam. The bulb moves foward for high beam. The bulb changes focal points so it either narrows the beam for Hi Beam and raises it up on the reflector or at rest in a wide patern. (SNIP)
What is your professional opinion when it comes to the Road Glide lights? Convert both lights to HID or only one?

I had considered doing just one side and than thought about how often I'm going to have to hear "hey you have a dim light" (the other lens).
Do both. The bulbs themselves move forward and back to give you hi and low beam
http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...IDProject1.flv

I considered the HD duel bulb light for the Heritage but I didn't like the look of the light and the price. Just my personal opinion

Old 04-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Carrjim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the HID lights affect radio reception.. I had heard that they can kill your AM reception.. Has anyone with an Ultra, Road Glide or Street Glide tried them ?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Carrjim
Intermediate

Do the HID bulbs and ballast effect radio reception ?

Old 04-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Guilty

I have the HD HID headlight on my Road King along with the HD custom passing lamps. The visability is greatly improved over stock and it allows you to see both sides of the road, past the ditches or sidewalksandfar in front of you. When I am riding 2nd in formation, the 1st riderhas improved visabilitybecausethe HID Headlighteasily overpowers their bike's headlights. Every so often an oncoming vehicle will flash me thinking that I have my high beams on when I don't...that can be annoying. If you have the extra $$$ and want to be a lot safer at night I would highly recommend them. I am lucky enough to have a few bikes and when I know that I am going to be riding at night I always take the Road King because of the increased vision from the HID headlights. Money well spent in my opinion.
I second this opinion. I have the HID with the addition of the fog lamps. Daylight is what I have when I drive at night.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:16 AM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Carrjim

Do the HID bulbs and ballast effect radio reception ?
I haven't tried it with AM. Not a problem with FM or WB.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:33 AM
continentaldrifter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, i ordered my light for my SG, due to overpopulation of wildlife here in Co, now.........Motorcyclemetal (Fast Harley) mentioned a switch be wired in to keep juice from getting to the relay fulltime..........for those with his set-up, where are you mounting this switch?

Old 04-13-2008, 11:05 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

ORIGINAL: continentaldrifter

Well, i ordered my light for my SG, due to overpopulation of wildlife here in Co, now.........Motorcyclemetal (Fast Harley) mentioned a switch be wired in to keep juice from getting to the relay fulltime..........for those with his set-up, where are you mounting this switch?
continentaldrifter I am sorry for the confusion but the purpose of that switch is to be wired in series of the keyswitch so you can turn off the light if need be such as a bad battery. This gives you the choice of running a headlight or in the case of an emergency, run with out one. When the switch is on the light acts like it would normally (no change), when the switch is open (turned off) the headlight would not work. Again when a choice is needed. Harley gives you no choice in case of an emergency. Yes, it has happened to me.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:04 PM
tripn4days
Novice

ORIGINAL: 07blackcherryflhx

I have just the dual beam w/o the HID option. It was about $500 less and this throws out the same light. Get your self silverstars and the dual beam and call it a day. The HID would be nice for looks but function is just about as good with the halogen bulb and the dual beam headlight.
The silverstars are the way to go.. HID's "look cool" but mostly hype. PLus with the $$$ you'll save, you can put on some sweet accs. that really make your bikestand out... not just @ night.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:36 PM
SuperBogs
Intermediate

What about HID auxilary bulbs? Hate the idea of a super white headlight and two yellow bulbs beside it. See that sometimes on cars with driving lights where the headlights are HID and the driving lights arn't....looks stupid IMHO
Are HID auxilary bulbs available?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: SuperBogs

What about HID auxilary bulbs? Hate the idea of a super white headlight and two yellow bulbs beside it. See that sometimes on cars with driving lights where the headlights are HID and the driving lights arn't....looks stupid IMHO
Are HID auxilary bulbs available?
I have Trailtrech as aux lights http://www.sidebysidesports.com/trhidli.htmlthis shows some of the mounting options Just ran an auxillary switchsince the ballast is contained I am running the spots for focused pattern. The customer service for Trailtech is great I had one go bad and theyreplaced at no cost.

Quick Reply: HID Headlight