Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:33 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default RE: HID Headlight

In answer to a PM from a member;
Howdy,
Ran across your post about the HID lighting and had a question. Are they legal to use on public roads in all 50 states? Been looking around and there seems to be mixed opinions about this and thought you might have the correct info. Thanks

With all of the background information I have found the short answer is no.

Each manufacturer would have to redesign and recertify their replacement lighting for each vehicle manufacturer one by one also, if you read your "laws" closely, every single aftermarket part you put on your motor vehicle is illegal.

Aftermarket HID is sold by a large number of companies, although less so recently because of NHTSA regulations. However, to ensure the highest quality, make sure you buy HID that is made by an OEM HID manufacturer. OEM HID kits are the same products fitted to many vehicles (usually luxury) by manufacturers before they are sold as new vehicles. Notice that almost all ballasts and bulbs used by car manufacturers are Bosch, Osram, Philips, or Hella. Bosch and Osram are not as readily available for retail, but Philips and Hella are. Kits that are not made by these companies are most likely not of the highest quality, although some aftermarket manufacturers such as Brightstar and McCullogh have been recognized as high quality products as well. Philips/Hella kits are generally considered the best.

I use Brightstar due to the small ballast and split system for hiding on a bike. I have tried Phillips, and Hella but the ballasts are too large and bulky.

Can I put HID into my stock halogen reflector lighting assembly?

On motorcycles I have done it. Cars are a different subject all together, they have beam spread to the right and are uneven. A motorcycle reflector is made for a motorcycle and the side spread pattern is not as much as a car. I know personally in my quality headwinds headlight, no problems as long as you aim the light correctly and not in the face of oncoming traffic. I do not have anyone flashing me but the HID light does stand out much more especially due to color and intensity. When you hit hi-beam that is a whole different matter. Great if no one is on the road, bad in traffic or city.

Question: How can I upgrade my lighting without buying HID?

First of all, not with coated bulbs. Many HID-look bulbs use blue coatings that actually reduce output. Some halogen bulbs are effective in producing more light than stock systems. Examples are Osram Silverstars (not Sylvania Silverstars, which are coated) Philips hi-visibility, and Hella +50.

This is the best information I can give to you. As stated above do your own research. Buy from whome ever you feel confortable with, I can only tell you about my own experiences, As far as other options available. Do it the easy way, pull a halogen equiped car next to a stock HID equiped car like a Benz. Shine the lighting on a wall at around 50 feet. Than decide which is better for you. Now you know the truth for yourself and who is full of crap as well who is putting out bad or inaccurate information.

I might also suggest all members contribute to this form so HD Forums can stay open for discussion. Some members contribute only misinformation, negative input and results but do nothing to keep this forum from folding due to operating costs. Yes it costs money to view this forum and yes it does take vast amount of time to contribute quality answers and first hand research. Keep this information and do whatever you wish.

Remember to aim your headlight as per manual (photo) no matter what system y ou have for the safety of yourself and others.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/E851F4AD116C4C0399DE8826D935D8F1.jpg[/IMG]

The following users liked this post:
Ronald Odett (01-18-2020)
Old 01-04-2008, 08:27 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: twedlake

fastharley. so if a forum member wanted to buy from you;

1. how do we contact you
2. how much does it cost for the HID system for an 06 RK (total system, whatever is required)
3.will my crash bar fog lights become pretty much useless (i don't mind getting rid of them if it's worth it and they're not needed after the upgrade)
4. passing lamps become useless as well?
1. how do we contact you.
You may go either to the front page and find my information under Sponsors or follow my link on the bottom of the page. You may also view the information on my web site for questions you may have.

You can always call me toll free for any questions you may have about your bike and whose ever product you bought. My # is 1-866-899-5962. I will give you quality answers and have a large wealth of information from friends who help me. I am happy to say my friends have been doing their own part in motorcycling for (depending on who) many years are some if not the best in S. Florida and across the country. Yes, the information is free and keep in mind this is a lifestyle. Some do not get it and never will. Do your part and help others if/when you can.

3.will my crash bar fog lights become pretty much useless (i don't mind getting rid of them if it's worth it and they're not needed after the upgrade)
Great for day time driving but draw power. It is much better to be seen than not. HID will negate you fog lights. Go to a wall next to a car side by side than decide for yourself.

4. passing lamps become useless as well?
Use them for Daytime Driving. More light gets you noticed. Our company manufactures underwater lighting for boats (worlds famous Stainless Marine). Over the past few years we are using LED bulbs (for underwater lighting) for both the lighting output, heat and power consumption. Every week there is new products available.

My thought would be to turn off the HID during day light hours and use the passing lamps by themselves. Modulation is an excelent way to be noticed. Headlamps are useless for light in the daytime but a becon type light would be benifical to keeping you safe under these conditions. Just my thoughts. I test all of my products before I offer them to the public. I have many more fish to fry before this project.

We have been experimenting with using the same technology, making a new multi-base and installing them in a passing lamp. The object is to make your bike more noticeable during the daylight hours as a modulator can also be used. The power consumption is very low (around 1 watt each) so your bike will have less parasitic horsepower loss driving your stator producing 55 watts to drive your Halogen headlamp. If we can get more light out for daylight operation with 1/35th the power consumption More free HP = More speed & better gas mileage.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:30 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I can't imagine how they could be that much better than stock.My RK has more than enough to light up the night.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:40 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were working on a kit that should cost under $350.00 for an HID. I'm buying them in bulk from the manufacture. As soon as I get a set and run a voltage test on them I'll put a post up. Anyone that might be interested can e-mail me back and I'll get a list going. We do a fair amount of them in a auto shop.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Bigstick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to say thank you to all those who have replied with info! 07BLKCHERRYFLHX- I am sorry if I insulted you. I was just asking if you had compared yours to HID. I love and hate forums at the same time. I say this because when you ask for info you get opinions from people who know nothing about what you asked. Some people have nothing better to do than to turn a post around into a joke or steal your post with nonsense. However, this has been a very informative post because of those with knowledge.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

totally agree with you BigStick. some very good information and pointers.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Bigstick
Cruiser

So I guess this is worth the money!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:30 AM
slacker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NCCopBikeRider

Before you spend big $s on light do a search for Daniel Stern Lighting.

He has several price attractive alternatives to the HID lights.

Unlike some others, he does not try to sell on forums, just makes good information available for those who have an interest.

There are as manyh opinions on lights are there are on which oil to use, however, do a serch and make your own decisions.

Good Luck
Just want to pass along my experience with Daniel Stern. I have been waiting two months for bulbs. I have called and emailed and still no bulbs. He does seem to have a lot of information but apparently no actual lights...

Note: I have posted this in a few places just to share the information...

Old 03-31-2008, 07:12 AM
Puzzled
Banned

ORIGINAL: FastHarley
I think you are speaking of a Roadglide? If you are thinking of a 2X bulb system that is on a FL Ultra or such, you need to check the sockets. The next thing is the lens. The light needs to be reflected in the correct patern. As far as putting 2 bulbs in the HD 2X Lens, I do not think it will work. All you need is one bulb that is both high & low beam. The bulb moves foward for high beam. The bulb changes focal points so it either narrows the beam for Hi Beam and raises it up on the reflector or at rest in a wide patern. (SNIP)
What is your professional opinion when it comes to the Road Glide lights? Convert both lights to HID or only one?

I had considered doing just one side and than thought about how often I'm going to have to hear "hey you have a dim light" (the other lens).

Old 03-31-2008, 08:19 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Puz. Try going down to read heywood727 post on his Roadie about HID. He has a complete how-to with many still photos and 4 movies. Them damned Canadians have a lot of time on their hands being snowed in all winter, they can come up with this stuff. Scroll down to RE: Xenon bulbs - 3/29/2008 12:25:53 PM and go to the photo bucket link. He is a very nice person and really loves the bikers life & is a great source of practical info which is happy to share (when not out trapping bears & fighten' the cold!), as it should be.

There are what appears to be a few all black photos which are really movies. Click on em. You can see what HID looks like on his bike including Hi/Lo, the color & Brightness. He is snowed in at the time & needs to adjust his headlights. His garage is too small to do so. Maybe when he "Digs Out" we can persuade him to post photos?

This member has nothing to gain other than the spirit knowing he has helped others.

As far as [QUOTE] What is your professional opinion when it comes to the Road Glide lights? Convert both lights to HID or only one?" [QUOTE]

I think you are the best person to decide. What do you want?

As far as the quote (SNIP)quote:

ORIGINAL: FastHarley
I think you are speaking of a Roadglide? If you are thinking of a 2X bulb system that is on a FL Ultra or such, you need to check the sockets. The next thing is the lens. The light needs to be reflected in the correct patern. As far as putting 2 bulbs in the HD 2X Lens, I do not think it will work. All you need is one bulb that is both high & low beam. The bulb moves foward for high beam. The bulb changes focal points so it either narrows the beam for Hi Beam and raises it up on the reflector or at rest in a wide patern. (SNIP)

I did not know if they were talking about a lens off of a Batwing with the 2 bulb in one lens or a Ultra, Street Glide et al. or a Road Glide. I should have asked the model than later answered the question to avoid this confusion. I answered it to mean the single lens / 2 bulb light found either a Road King or Batwinged bike.

I do hope I have given clear and useful information.

Quick Reply: HID Headlight