Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:43 PM
07blackcherryflhx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HID Headlight

Ok Bigstick. I was offering input on mainly the optics. They are very nice. I have had HID's on my audi and there is no comparsion. Those has projector lens in them. The harley is an open reflector. I think for the extra doe the difference is not worth it. I have compared the dual halogen and the HID version and the difference is not that further with the HID. The difference is the color and that was noticeable. I was offering a suggestion and the price was a rough, rough est. off the top of my head. For someone who is posting on a forum you cannot expect people to offer only answers to your specfic question. With the vast knowlage many suggestions are far better than what you thought. Just something to keep in the back of your mind!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:51 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Threw one of the PIAA H4son my Road KIng and it made a huge difference. Bought it off EBAY for under 20 bucks (sorry been awhile and don't remember exact price) for a package of 2. Gave one to a friend of minefor his Dynaand he swears by it.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:00 PM
liftgator
Advanced

I've owned cars with projector and reflector HIDs and they both performend significantly better than halogen lamps. I would expect the same performance on a bike.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:42 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Lets make myself clear so there is no misunderstandings. I sell HID, I will tell you only the truth and may the chips fall where they may.

HID bulbs singles, use about 35 watts. I only use 6000 Kelvin which is a ice blue and has the same light frequency equivalent to daylight. I could care less if somebody thinks I am cool with purple 9000 Kelvin headlamps as you can not see worth a damned with that light frequency. I am 60 years old and everyone on this planet looses light refracting cones on the back of their eyes. That is why your night vision degrades and you can not read in the dark as you start aging (among other things) beyond 30 years or so. That is life. I need the light frequency of daylight for contrast and extended range a HID provides you.

As per SilverStar Q & A: is up to 4000K on the color temperature scale, which is a white color that is closer to the color of daylight. Standard halogen headlights are about 3000K and have a yellowish color, in comparison.

This is a misleading answer. Go to a photography page on the internet and look at the color for yourself. You decide.

Halogen use between 50 – 100 watts. Power = Voltage divided by current (Ohms Law) [HERE]

HID = 35 watts/12 Volts = 2.916 amps. Rated Bulb Life = 2000 hours SilverStar ® Halogens H4 ST [HERE] have a low beam rating of 55 watts and the high beam rating of 60 watts. Rated Life of low beam is 150 hours and high beam is 50 hours. . Using Ohms law you draw 4.58 amps on low and 5 amps on high beam. Color Temp = 4000 Kelvin (light frequency) which is a yellowish. There is no Lumens rating on the SilverStar ® Halogens but SYLVANIA’s Xenarc ® HID Upgrade Kits they are 3200 Lumens with a rated life of Up to 3000 hours. To look at the color of true and the claimed SilverStar ® Halogens go [HERE]

You can search on the internet like I have done before buying. Many people have different opinions but you can read and decide for yourself.

Personal experience. [ol][*]When I ride with a group of people, I am usually in front of the pack due to the HID. It overpowers the bike stock light next to you, like an eraser.[*]The brightness of a HID makes everyone you know not want you behind them. End of the argument.[*]6000 Kelvin makes objects white or dips where the light can not get to black.[*]When I was riding outside of Sturgis going west to Spearfish, I went over the hill and the light shined on the side of a mountain a few miles away.[*]When you have your headlamp properly aimed, the pattern in the road is no different than any other headlamp, just brighter. When you turn on your hi-beam, you can see a long way off and everything is brightly contrasted.[*]The only reason why I got into the HID business is because I needed this advantage for myself. I own several bikes of which one is a chopper. The ballast is a pain to hide and that is why I use the very small digital ballast about 1/4 the thickness of a pack of cigarettes and about the same size L X W. Everything is hidden.[*]Yes, people can see you coming. Yes, a few people get annoyed at your bright and noticeable headlamp but I am happy to say, no oncoming cars have tried to hit me and I am sure all know I am there. That is 1/2 the point of this product, you know, see and be seen.[*]I did not want to buy Harley HID lighting as only the low beam is HID. I use a bulb that is both Hi & low (same handlebar

Old 01-03-2008, 11:03 PM
GADawgs
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow now that is information. thanks Mr. FastH

Old 01-03-2008, 11:21 PM
FLHTim
Cruiser

Fast harley, what options are out therefrom others as well as yourself for quality HID units. Would it be possible to convert the harley unit into a 2 bulbHID system?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:23 PM
amarzano
Novice

Here is the HID solution That I was thinking of..

The HD HID is around $400 - $500 and only offers the Low Beam. The Dual bulb set up from HD is around $100 - $160. I was thinking of getting the dual bulb set up and adding an aftermarket HID set up w/ slim ballast for around $140. That would be around $250 for and HID set up. You could swap the High Beam with an HID as well - OR pop a silverstone in.

Now - my only question was the HD Dual Bulb set up does NOT list the FLHX as an application. It does list the Electra - so I'm not sure why it would not fit the FLHX. Is anyone running this successfully?

Also - I did see the post from someone selling HID w/ the shutter for High / low beams. Does that work well? How much does that set up run?

Thanks!

ORIGINAL: Bigstick

Robbie52- Obviously you don't have one....
07BlkCherryFLHX- Have you compared yours to an HID? Also you say yours was about $500 less well then that means you paid $24.95 for yours then? Yeah right... Seriously they list for $525 but you can get them for around $400
Again I am not looking for peoples thoughts on the price cause each person gets out of their dollar what they want. I am looking for those that OWN one and their thoughts. I saw one last year and it looked awesome. No one can argue saying that a Halogen is brighter than HID I have vehicles with both and I will someday do an HID conversion on my Silverado.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:32 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLHTim

Fast harley, what options are out therefrom others as well as yourself for quality HID units. Would it be possible to convert the harley unit into a 2 bulbHID system?
Yes, but it would burn the retinas off of raccoons and I would highly recommend small children should not go near your bikewithout at least sunscreen and dark glasses.

I think you are speaking of a Roadglide? If you are thinking of a 2X bulb system that is on a FL Ultra or such, you need to check the sockets. The next thing is the lens. The light needs to be reflected in the correct patern. As far as putting 2 bulbs in the HD 2X Lens, I do not think it will work. All you need is one bulb that is both high & low beam. The bulb moves foward for high beam. The bulb changes focal points so it either narrows the beam for Hi Beam and raises it up on the reflector or at rest in a wide patern. As far a a guy getting a HID for $140, they cost me more than that if I buy 100 at a time + freight from Taiwan. A good deal or what?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:13 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

fastharley. so if a forum member wanted to buy from you;

1. how do we contact you
2. how much does it cost for the HID system for an 06 RK (total system, whatever is required)
3.will my crash bar fog lights become pretty much useless (i don't mind getting rid of them if it's worth it and they're not needed after the upgrade)
4. passing lamps become useless as well?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:20 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you spend big $s on light do a search for Daniel Stern Lighting.

He has several price attractive alternatives to the HID lights.

Unlike some others, he does not try to sell on forums, just makes good information available for those who have an interest.

There are as manyh opinions on lights are there are on which oil to use, however, do a serch and make your own decisions.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: HID Headlight