Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 AM
jon4321
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Xenon Headlight

I took the Harley Dual Halogen headlight, (same housing as HID version they sell for $535 and ALL made by JW Speaker who sells their version, model 8100 for $400), for $156.00.

- Bought H11 HID kit off ebay for $90 with two bulbs, (6000K auto version), ballasts, etc, so have extra parts, (Harley kit uses D1S as does JW Speaker version model 8100).

- Delay relay from Tripage $40.

- Made a harness to pull power from battery, $10.

Result: HID dual bulb Harley light identical to Harley HID model sold for $535, for $296!!

Old 09-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigstick
I was thinking about putting the Harley HID Headlight in my Glide. My question is for those that have done this was it worth the money? I know my wife has the HID headlights in her Lexus and they ROCK! Thanks in advance for any help.

Also I noticed that there are two available one for the glides and ones for the kings what is the difference?
Actually there is a difference between the H-D Glide and Road King lighting kits.

The Glide has shorter wiring harness for tagging into ignition switch since that is up by the fairing on the front forks. And has a bracket for the ballest that mounts onto the top of the HK radio.

The King has longer wiring harness to tag the ignition switch on the tank, and has a ring of sorts that goes in behinded the head lamp assy all tucked away inside the necel for the ballast to mount on.

I know because my converting my RK into my term of "Ultra" Road King confused him one day I guess and I'd received the kit for a Glide. After taking it all home and just gandering at the pile of parts thought that just the bracket was all the difference. I started to install the wiring. Only after I'd got to the point that the "forigen out sourced instructions" said to tag into the ignition then I realized that this kit was not going to work for a RK with out me modifing the wiring from that point. So I re-drew all the wiring as it should be for a RK and kept going on my install. Later bought the bracket for something like $13 and secured the ballast. Later sent my Glide ballast bracket off to another member on the forum.

OBTW, unless you know what your doing from the start, I would suggest that the parts guy double checks the HID part for applicablity to your model.

Last edited by Ram; 09-18-2008 at 03:45 PM.