Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you have to change the air/fuel mix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When do you have to change the air/fuel mix?

I've searched and read what I could find on this subject and maybe I'm just a little thick.

1) Can you change the exhaust side of a stock engine say to SE slip-ons without remapping the fuel?

2) When you change the air/fuel mixture on the intake side you must makethe mixricher because you just leaned it out by adding more air ?

3) When you change both the air cleaner and pipes you have to change the F/A mixture!

Does that sound right to you?

Thanks and ride well,

Jim

Old 01-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain
Default RE: When do you have to change the air/fuel mix?

ORIGINAL: Badfinger

I've searched and read what I could find on this subject and maybe I'm just a little thick.

1) Can you change the exhaust side of a stock engine say to SE slip-ons without remapping the fuel?

2) When you change the air/fuel mixture on the intake side you must makethe mixricher because you just leaned it out by adding more air ?

3) When you change both the air cleaner and pipes you have to change the F/A mixture!

Thanks and ride well,

Jim
1) NO

2) YES

3) YES

Greetz,
Peter

Old 01-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are right...you can put new mufflers without doing much else, but if you change the intake then you need to do something to add more fuel to the mix. Many here use either the PCIII or SERT...personally I prefer and have the SERT installed on my 08 UC with Vance and Hines slip-on mufflers and the SE air cleaner.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

The '07 Christmas catalog that came, has the requirement added to each Screaming Eagle air cleaner listing, whether by themselves or with a big bore kit, thatrecalibration must take place. There is no such requirement listed on just muffler options.

This is in direct contrast to the information on the Nightrider site that says recalibration is not necessary.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's your scoot, you can do whatever you want with it, within reason. You are correct in your reasoning. I would advise a SERT, pcIII or Thunder Max to help with the tuning.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Badfinger

Thanks and ride well,

Jim
1. Yes if it is EFI as there is enough "adaptive learning" that will compensate for the lean condition with just slip-ons and no further mods.

2. Yes

3. Yes

Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

The '07 Christmas catalog that came, has the requirement added to each Screaming Eagle air cleaner listing, whether by themselves or with a big bore kit, thatrecalibration must take place. There is no such requirement listed on just muffler options.

This is in direct contrast to the information on the Nightrider site that says recalibration is not necessary.
Thanks everyone, this example is exactly the cause of my confusion. Although it doesn't take much anymore Whether an oversight or not. When reading thecatalog it leaves me to thinkI can change the exhaust to SE slip-ons with no other changes required.

"Screamin' Eagle® Street Performance Slip-On Mufflers - One Piece

New Street Performance Touring mufflers combine aggressive sound quality with aggressive performance results. High flow internal design produces performance you can feel, comparable to Screamin' Eagle® II race-use mufflers. Street legal, these chrome-plated mufflers feature a new ballistic-shape inlet and a deep embossed Screamin' Eagle® signature script. Street legal on stock displacement engines. Patent pending"

I know assumptions are dangerous. You could also assume you could just buy the big bore kit and slap it on as well.

Thanks again & Ride well,

Jim

Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

MNPGRider where on night riders site does it say that? They sell what is basically a couple of resistors that lower A/F ratio to enrich and lower heat.
My understanding (and I am no expert) is that 07/08 bikes run very lean for EPA and thus hot. So anything that may make them run leaner including freer breathing pipes will make them run hoter so fuel management becomes important.

I have been following discussion about Terminal Velocity II on another forum. Anybody here know about this product or use it?

http://www.terrycomp.com/