Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOTORCYCLE LIFT w/ 08 TOURING (CROSS MEMBER)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008 | 10:34 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master
Default RE: MOTORCYCLE LIFT w/ 08 TOURING (CROSS MEMBER)

I use a jack called the center stand and for the back wheel up I just postion it right in the bowtie - like its name a center stand

Old 01-01-2008 | 10:50 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a red lift from Canadian Tire (same as Sears Red I beleive) and not a problem at all with it fitting under my 07 FLHX. Took 30 seconds to line it just in front of that cross member and pump it up to the required height. Here's a pic.

Old 01-02-2008 | 02:29 AM
tda69
|
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sifularson

ORIGINAL: tda69

Ok guys, I need your help here. I'm in the market to buy a new mc lift and I noticed under my bike, an '08 Ultra Classic that there is a cross member underneath the frame that I don't remember seeing on my '03. I am concerned about being able to use a MC lift and not having interference from the cross member. Also as far as lift are concerned, I was thinking about going with the Pit Bull, but I am open to suggestions. If you have an '08 model and are using a lift, please weigh in here.
Do yourself a favor and buy a jack that works. Look at this video:

http://www.jsjacks.com/bikelift.htm

You can buy a sears jack and strap your bike down OR you can spend the money for a jack that lifts the bike 18" solidly without using straps. I can climb on the bike, move forward and back with no worries. That's how solid this jack is. Believe me, you life may depend on it. Why go cheap???

Do a search and you will hear a lot about the J&S.

Here are some picks:
Thanks for the video link. I appreciate that. The J&S looks to be very solid and precision built.

Old 01-02-2008 | 02:59 AM
24guns
Cruiser

Ok guys, I need your help here. I'm in the market to buy a new mc lift and I noticed under my bike, an '08 Ultra Classic that there is a cross member underneath the frame that I don't remember seeing on my '03. I am concerned about being able to use a MC lift and not having interference from the cross member. Also as far as lift are concerned, I was thinking about going with the Pit Bull, but I am open to suggestions. If you have an '08 model and are using a lift, please weigh in here.

You can buy a sears jack and strap your bike down OR you can spend the money for a jack that lifts the bike 18" solidly without using straps. I can climb on the bike, move forward and back with no worries. That's how solid this jack is. Believe me, you life may depend on it. Why go cheap???

Here are some picks:
WOW. That is quite impressive.

Old 01-02-2008 | 04:49 AM
cdradar
Novice

Here's my 07 RK on the J&S for cleaning.(if I can make the pics work)

Old 01-02-2008 | 10:47 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Here are some picks:
Thanks for the video link. I appreciate that. The J&S looks to be very solid and precision built.
As you can see, the sears jack is narrower. I'm sure it is a fine jack but it must tip forward and backward quite a bit more than the J&S. For the extra money and peace of mind, get the J&S.

Old 01-02-2008 | 02:43 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior

pit bull gets my vote!!!!!!! I also got a red sears I use it just for lifting my lawn tractor for cleaning out the grass&sharping the baldes. pit bull has it all over the craftsman

Old 01-02-2008 | 03:49 PM
rapz
Road Captain

J&S is a great jack; stable; no straps required; quick setup; can roll around as needed.

Old 01-02-2008 | 11:13 PM
Jsans
Tourer

ORIGINAL: rapz

J&S is a great jack; stable; no straps required; quick setup; can roll around as needed.
A major complaint I have about the J&S is the leaking hydraulic fluid. They've been real good about sending me replacements, but I'm on my 3rd one (that I haven't tested yet).

wish they would have sent a different brand of hydraulic the second time since I almost killed myself slipping on the floor after the fluid leaked out.

They said they would keep sending more until I got one that wouldn't leak, which I'm not sure is the proper way to handle this type of issue. They should have replaced the hydraulic unit with a differnet type all together for what I paid for this jack.

Also,

the oil drip pan needs a 2 inch side plate on the left side to keep the oil from spillling over the edge when I pull the drain plug on my SG. I'll have to make some kind of bolt-on side shield. (Why, when you pay good money??)

For the price of this jack, you shouldn't have to deal with these repeated issues.

Old 01-02-2008 | 11:32 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Jsans

ORIGINAL: rapz

A major complaint I have about the J&S is the leaking hydraulic fluid. They've been real good about sending me replacements, but I'm on my 3rd one (that I haven't tested yet).

wish they would have sent a different brand of hydraulic the second time since I almost killed myself slipping on the floor after the fluid leaked out.

They said they would keep sending more until I got one that wouldn't leak, which I'm not sure is the proper way to handle this type of issue. They should have replaced the hydraulic unit with a differnet type all together for what I paid for this jack.

Also,

the oil drip pan needs a 2 inch side plate on the left side to keep the oil from spillling over the edge when I pull the drain plug on my SG. I'll have to make some kind of bolt-on side shield. (Why, when you pay good money??)

For the price of this jack, you shouldn't have to deal with these repeated issues.

They replaced the jack on mine for leaking too. Had a leak at the base of the jack. I was wondering if others had problems too. NowI know. They got me a new one really quick and for free of course. Haven't had a problem since.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/631F7FD5B1DA4DA49CBE954E84172C85.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/2EC070C827904E4FB1A4FA996BB180FA.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: MOTORCYCLE LIFT w/ 08 TOURING (CROSS MEMBER)