Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOTORCYCLE LIFT w/ 08 TOURING (CROSS MEMBER)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008 | 07:20 PM
JGroves
Tourer
Default RE: MOTORCYCLE LIFT w/ 08 TOURING (CROSS MEMBER)

TDA69 - I have an 08 Touring Bike and the Pitbull Lift. The jack will not interfer with the cross member you spoke of. What I do is slide the last rubber coated lift pad between the two parts of the cross member that hang down. In that position the bike is very sturdy on the lift. I'm sure you can lift it by placing the jack a little further forward or back but this works well for me. You can climb on the bike at full lift which is 25", sit in the saddle or even on the back passange rest. The only issue I had with the jack is because it sits so low to the floor if you have any humps in your concrete when you try to move the bike around it will hang up. I had to grind down the high spots on my floor so I could easily move the jack and bike. I hope this help. John

Old 01-01-2008 | 07:31 PM
vette
Road Captain

I use a harbor freight jack use it on 08 ultra with no problem

Old 01-01-2008 | 07:33 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Got a 08 Standard. Use the Sears Red jack for 89.95, it came with straps to strap the bike down. I slide it under the bike it can hit the crossmember, then I stand the bike up off the kickstand and push the bike the rest of the way under the bike. Use the foot pump and jack the bike up some and use the straps to hold it to the jack. The jack doesn't know the crossmember is there. It works fine for me.
Make sure you strap the bike to the jack so it don't fall over on you. Its a bear trap without the straps. Some jacks do not come with the straps either.

Old 01-01-2008 | 07:44 PM
rjw54
Novice

J&S jack fits in the cross member of my 07 road king.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32473/921F594C8DEC4FD7830E91126E93139F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-01-2008 | 08:51 PM
tda69
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it very much.

Old 01-01-2008 | 09:06 PM
Mr D
Tourer

TDA69, I have a J&S lift that works well, But I also have a PitBull, that is GREAT,, much more stabil, well worth the $$$
I am not affiliated with Pit Bull, just a satisfied owner

Old 01-01-2008 | 09:13 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior

tda69: No! You want to position your Sears Yellow lift so that the front lip of that cross member is right down the center of the left pad/crossbar of the jack. Then pull the touring bike up to vertical by the grip and roll the Sears under so that there is about 1 inch of cross bar out on your (the right side of the bike) side. Start up with the jack and let the jack pickup the bike very evenly. I have lifted my '05 Road King Classic and my '08 Road Glide using this technique. I can then roll them any place I want in the garage.

To minimize the floor space used by the RK Classic, I store it on the Sears lift with the tires about 1 inch in the air. Works very well! I have a centerstand mounted under the Road Glide and it is always parked using that centerstand. Vertical bikes take up less floor space than bikes parked on the jiffystand. .................. BC

Old 01-01-2008 | 09:35 PM
singlepin
Cruiser

I've got an 07 Utra and use the Sears red jack also. But in my experience, when I put the pad in front of that cross member it is too far forward and the rear hangs way down. It's very unstable that way on mine. I just fill in (the middle) between the sides of that cross member with a piece of wood(duct tape it to hold it in place)until Iput the jack under it. Works good for me.

Old 01-01-2008 | 09:40 PM
Jsans
Tourer

ORIGINAL: cardboard

Got a 08 Standard. Use the Sears Red jack for 89.95, it came with straps to strap the bike down. I slide it under the bike it can hit the crossmember, then I stand the bike up off the kickstand and push the bike the rest of the way under the bike. Use the foot pump and jack the bike up some and use the straps to hold it to the jack. The jack doesn't know the crossmember is there. It works fine for me.
Make sure you strap the bike to the jack so it don't fall over on you. Its a bear trap without the straps. Some jacks do not come with the straps either.
You know I always wondered how strapping the bike to the jack would actually prevent it from falling. I would believe that if the bike is tipping over, it would take the jack with it if it was strapped.

Old 01-01-2008 | 10:30 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: tda69

Ok guys, I need your help here. I'm in the market to buy a new mc lift and I noticed under my bike, an '08 Ultra Classic that there is a cross member underneath the frame that I don't remember seeing on my '03. I am concerned about being able to use a MC lift and not having interference from the cross member. Also as far as lift are concerned, I was thinking about going with the Pit Bull, but I am open to suggestions. If you have an '08 model and are using a lift, please weigh in here.
Do yourself a favor and buy a jack that works. Look at this video:

http://www.jsjacks.com/bikelift.htm

You can buy a sears jack and strap your bike down OR you can spend the money for a jack that lifts the bike 18" solidly without using straps. I can climb on the bike, move forward and back with no worries. That's how solid this jack is. Believe me, you life may depend on it. Why go cheap???

Do a search and you will hear a lot about the J&S.

Here are some picks:

Quick Reply: MOTORCYCLE LIFT w/ 08 TOURING (CROSS MEMBER)