Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backrest questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:29 AM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backrest questions...

Due to a misunderstanding with a 17-4 hand horse a couple of years ago (he wanted me off, I wanted to stay on, that's a long way down, and Mercer County clay is hard) I wound up with a compression fracture in the middle of my back. It starts to bother me at around the 100 mile mark. So to do any distance riding, I am thinking about getting a backrest for my Ultra. My question is, I sit all the way back on my seat (factory) With the installation of a rider backrest, would I have to sit farther up? And do they really work for relieving the strain on your back? I have never ridden with one, as I always figured they were spine snappers if you get rear ended, but looks like if I want to distance ride, which I do, I may have to install one.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:32 AM
PeteM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Backrest questions...

I'm 6'5" and ride with one. Have a bad lower back from an injury a long time ago, and the rest seems to help

Duz seem to make me feel like I sit forward more, but got used to it and have no problems riding with it. Actually feels weird now without it

Old 12-31-2007, 08:42 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Get the one with remote back rest adjustment. Simple install. I have the one with the thick back rest and love it. You can bend the support bar to move it farther back for more room. I do not use mine wiht the wife on takes up room for her but she is much more comfortable to lean against anyway. Only takes a few seconds to put on or take off. I had 2 discs removed in the early 80's and the back rest help a lot. The main thing that helped me was to have my sitting position as where my arms are not too close or to far back from the bars. I had Allen at www.meancitycycles.com take care of that with my seeat.
hope this helps.
jim

Old 12-31-2007, 08:45 AM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member

You will feel like you are sitting a little closer to the handlebars with the backrest. I had a fractured lumbar vertebra due to a headon accident with my Road King; the backrest did not contribute to the fracture; it was a common flexion fracture that occurs allot with headon collisions - car or motorcycle. The backrest makes ridingcomfortable for me; it does take a little getting used to. In the long run it makes long-distance riding more comfortable. Email me if you have any questions.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:46 AM
mcline_1968
Advanced

I am also 6'-5" like Pete. I have had several touring bikes (RK's, Ultra's). Being a rider for over 30 years I have hit the pavementmy share of times and have back problems as well. I have the rider backrest on my 08 Ultra now. As stated it does sit you a little forward but it makes you sit with good posture. The relief on my back during long rides was unbelievable. I wont ever take a trip without one again. IMHO it is well worth the money.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the adjustable back rest this time and love it. If I'd known how much better it was I would have changed out backrest on previous bike. I'm 6'2" and once you get it and your highway pegs in the right spot I wouldn't have it any other way.

Arvid

[IMG]local://upfiles/27149/66A36E7ACFC4448CB4680EECCD2259FC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-31-2007, 09:28 AM
mllkn6
Tourer

Get the backrest, makes a world of difference on the long haul. I have back problems also an couldn't ride any distance without one. Moved the tour pak back to the last position, my wife fits between the tour pak and backrest fine, both of us are happy with something to lean against.
If someone hits you in the rear hard enough for the backrest to snap your back then that will be the least of your problems, they are padded pretty well.
Get the adjustable one, bend the bracket some to allow it to sit up straight as somehow they always seem to lean a little forward. Several member and I had that problem, mine was installed when I purchased the bike by the stealer.
No joke, it works great.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:53 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

I put a couple of washers on the front mount position to ease it back a little. Mostly it just took a little gettin use to,like said above its great.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:29 AM
sugarbear
Road Master

The one I use is 42-24-38 also handy when you get where you are going

Old 12-31-2007, 10:41 AM
gordo 2050
Advanced

I have the adjustable unit as well. Granted, I am somewhat vertically challenged, 5'8", but I like it.
Wife is able to ride on the back with it on as well, although she has admitted it is a bit better with it off. Somthing about spreading that wide...

Quick Reply: Backrest questions...