Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backrest questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:10 AM
dmaxdiva
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Backrest questions...

Sounds like we've had similar horse experiences...

A few years back I had a Percheron stallion that reached 18-1 hands (that's a bit over 6 feet tall at the shoulder) in training under saddle. Needless to say, I literally had to use a stepladder to mount! Anyway, I was riding him out in the arena when a plastic garbage bag blew across the ground in front of him...well, he freaked out and exploded, jettisoning me nearly twenty feet. Needless to say, nearly ten years later, I do have a touch of arthritis in one hip thanks to him.

I definitely recommend a backrest...I have the Mustang solo w/backrest on my Ultra, but currently I'm riding with the chopped tourpak in solo position as a backrest (I'm 5'11)...totally comfy with the highway pegs!

DMD

Old 01-01-2008, 09:28 AM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

I'm 6' 4" and have degenerative disc with spinal stenosis. I installed the adjustable back rest and put a couple of washers under the front mount of it. I do day trips over 700 miles and the back is still in great shape.
If you try to heat the bar to bend it, you will either have to take it apart or put enough protection over the leather so it isn't damaged by the heat.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:54 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Back problems for 25 years.[:@]Four baggersALL with backrest. 350,000+ miles. Couldn`t have possibly done it without the backrest. [sm=biker.gif]

Old 01-01-2008, 02:42 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dmaxdiva

Sounds like we've had similar horse experiences...

A few years back I had a Percheron stallion that reached 18-1 hands (that's a bit over 6 feet tall at the shoulder) in training under saddle. Needless to say, I literally had to use a stepladder to mount! Anyway, I was riding him out in the arena when a plastic garbage bag blew across the ground in front of him...well, he freaked out and exploded, jettisoning me nearly twenty feet. Needless to say, nearly ten years later, I do have a touch of arthritis in one hip thanks to him.

I definitely recommend a backrest...I have the Mustang solo w/backrest on my Ultra, but currently I'm riding with the chopped tourpak in solo position as a backrest (I'm 5'11)...totally comfy with the highway pegs!

DMD
Yeah, now when I'm over at his farm, if i ride it is on one of his paints. I stay off the "Big Gray Murder Machine" When a horse that big throws you up in the air, it's a long way down.