Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Trailer for Hauling Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:14 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Trailer for Hauling Bike

I am researching a cargo type trailer to tow my bike behind my RV and/or truck a few times each year. I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you with experience may be able to help with. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all!

5 x 10 or 6 x 12

Single or double axle

What brand is a good value

Low profile or is it easier to load with standup height

Any other important features necessary

[IMG]local://upfiles/43876/1423DD9933D743F1B528DF15E3D4EB16.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-29-2007, 06:21 PM
medic694
Intermediate
Default RE: Opinions on Trailer for Hauling Bike

I had a Continental Cargo 7X12. It worked well. In your situation I would Say
1.) at leat 6X12 (you will appreciate the bigger size)
2.) 2 axel (pulls better)
3.) Most of the top manufacturers are O.K.
4.) I would get the standard height (more room).
5.) Definetly get a ramp rear door and a side door. I also recomend the Condor style weel chock.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 PM
DelawareDon
Cruiser

I would recommend the 6x12, as you will have room for all the little extras you will want to carry. In addition, you might find yourself using it for more than just the motorcycle, and a little extra room might come in handy. As for single or double axle...the single axle results in a higher tongue weight, which may or may not be an issue for you, depending upon your tow vehicle. Double axle trailers typically have a higher carrying (weight) capacity. The downside to double axles is, or course, twice as many tires to replace, and higher tolls where rates are charged by the number of axles. Stand-up height is definately much easier to load...and your head will thank you many, many times! As for any other important features....I would strongly recommend that you purchase a trailer in which the rear door folds down into a loading ramp, as opposed to doors that swing open. The added convenience is worth whatever it costs. Good luck in your search.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

How far are you going to tow?

I have a cheapo Home Depot trailer for the once a year I have to move a bike... I wouldn't go more than 50 miles with it though.

If money was no object, or gas mileage for that matter the bigger the trailer the better, and 2 axles are better than one for any sort of distance towing, especially at highway speed. The taller the tire the better.. 15 inch tires are great. Don't forget a spare, a jack and a lug wrench that fits the trailer.

As a side note, trailers are getting ripped off all the time with bikes in them. Make sure you make it as hard as possible to get the trailer if you leave it parked somewhere on the truck or off.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:10 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

Check these threads out. Some good, quality info here.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2551193/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1362119/tm.htm

Old 12-29-2007, 07:12 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ideal - a 6 x12 or 7x12 enclosed with dual wheels...

Old 12-29-2007, 07:19 PM
2000Bagger
Intermediate

Have an enclosed HandH 6x12 v-nose single axle. The sides are laminated and there are no screws. Had it since 2003 and no problems yet. I work all over the country and it has had a lot miles on it .. The reason for the single axle is it is easy to move around with a dolly when you want to move into a parking spot backwards so you can use as a garage Never had any issues with the single axle swaying or anything, run down the highway 75-80mph most of the time. Nowadays it is the harley and a lifted tricked out golf cart for the family.

http://hhtrailer.com/ is the website

[IMG]local://upfiles/48360/DD1AA7E962D142AD943F175C3A8690EC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 PM
tooch69
Advanced

I HAVE A KRISTI 6X10 SINGLE AXLE WORKS GREAT FOR MY FLHR

Old 12-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't consider a single axle. Can you imagine a flat/blowout at 60MPH with a single axle trailer? It's not a pretty picture. You have to consider how much you value your bike to. I have a 7X14 dual axle Wells Cargo with rear door ramp. Good quality trailer with stand up height. It's ideal for hauling the bike and like medic684, I also recommend the Condor wheel bracket. Ride it onto the bracket, get off and then strap it down without the fear of the bike falling over while strapping it. I installed E channel to change loading configurations if your hauling more than 1 bike or wanting to use the trailer for moving items. It can be used for more than just hauling bikes.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:53 PM
rockdoc
Tourer

basically I agree with medic694...6x12 or bigger, dual wheels....I've got a open, small utility trailer and a 6x12 Wells Cargo enclosed trailer. The enclosed trailer will hold value better and be easy to sell later on.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Trailer for Hauling Bike