Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Trailer for Hauling Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:13 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: Opinions on Trailer for Hauling Bike

I have an 8' Classic CVT85SI-M V-Nose. The V-Nose gives you an extra 2' of forward room without increasing the overall length of the trailer. I can fit my bagger in it with no problems. The V-Nose trailers better because of the aerodynamic shape. Worth checking out:

http://www.classicmfg.com/cvt85foto.htm

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/3ECAEC8CCEE3450BA5D7860B99666910.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/EA4948826C27465CB0426E7ABB0C1128.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/A11D3CDD25D34C6A8279D49E9A293BE9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/D9826700BE2A4D489A0E3FF8202AC454.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/220027D19DF44E0B85E297BCE0F312BD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-30-2007, 10:28 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Statement of the day.

Can you imagine a flat/blowout at 60MPH with a single axle trailer?

I can but does that mean you don't ride a 2 wheeled bike or drive a 4 wheeled car? I have had a blowout on a 2 wheeled trailer and the only thing that happened was my hands got dirty changing the tire. It does not go buck wild flipping end over end.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:43 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: captjon37

Statement of the day.

I can but does that mean you don't ride a 2 wheeled bike or drive a 4 wheeled car? I have had a blowout on a 2 wheeled trailer and the only thing that happened was my hands got dirty changing the tire. It does not go buck wild flipping end over end.
I totally agree. I have been there and done that hauling a bass boat. It didn't sway, swing, flip or do cart wheels. It went from rolling smoothy to draging dead weight. Absolutely no control issues!!

Old 12-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 6X12 Cargo Mate. I use a bike pro wheel chock. I put E trac down both sidesand D rings on the walls just for the ability to strap down whatever I need in the future. It is tall enough to stand in and pulls great. It is a single axel with a stone gaurd on the front. Ramp door and side door.I also put a helmet rack and tie downs stays in it. Pulled to Fla and back only time I used it in a year. I store my Ultrat in it over the winter and park it in my barn. I use a battery tender and run the cable through the ramp door works great.Bought it for one bike and I now have two wish I would have bought a little wider. I have been told that I can stager the two bike a Ultra and a sportster and both will fit but I have not tried it.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:13 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

I have three open trailors - one of them is a long, dual axled one for carrying 2 four-wheelers front and rear. I use them for various purposes - and all three have carried a bike from time to time. But the only times I've carried a bike, was to take mine to the shop for maintenance or go pick up a friend's bike off the side of the road. But, if I was gonna use a trailor for long-distance hauling, like to an event, I'd trade one in and get me a single axle, enclosed trailor, plain white wrapper. Of course, with the side car, it'd have to be 6+ feet wide.

Hack

Old 12-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: captjon37

Statement of the day.

Yeah, BTDT! Mine was with a single axle open trailer with one bike on it. 'Course I wasn't doin' 60mph.......till I slowed down! Looked out the rearview & saw a guy behind me dodgin' tire chunks! Thought "that's interesting", till I looked in the sideview mirror & realized it was *my* tire chunks he was dodgin'! No trailer problems, no bike problems, just a PITA shredded tire. Hotter'n Hell on I-10 in Lousiana! I was a sweaty, dirty mess by the time I got back in the A/C & on the way again............

Old 12-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 6x10 V-nose single axle trailer by Big Tex that been great. I've hauled my bike on several 1K mile trips. Enclosed trailer allows you to have a portable garage or storage unit at the destination and keeps the road film off the bike, especially if it rains along the way. The V-nose helps keep it steady on the highway and even with my Ultra and gearloaded up my wife's girly truck pulls it just fine.

Rear ramp and side man door are a must. With my Ultra loaded up I still have enough room at the rear for a couple of large ice chest sized storage containers for helmets, leathers, boots, etc.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:20 PM
reh13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're not in a big hurry, I may have a 7x12 Haulmark Low Hauler for sale shortly. I own 4 harleys and 2 trailers. I keep my harleys in the trailers, and keep the trailers in my garage. After the first of the year, I'm going to sell 2 of my harleys, and will no longer need both trailers. The trailer only has about 100 miles on it (pulled it home). I special ordered the trailer, with insulation in the roof (wasn't worried about the sides with the plywood siding), along with a road side door. In other words, it has the ramp door in the back, along with aroad side andcurb side door. I wouldn't buy another trailer without the extra door. Anyway, if I get 2 of the bikes sold (and they have to be sold first), the trailer will be next.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Rick 547
Tourer

Had both single axle and dual axle trailers and I prefer the dual axle with trailer brakes. I currently own a Halmark 7X14 Low Hauler but if I were to buy today I would purchase a 7 X 14 V nose. A friend of mine has one and can haul 3 touring bikes with no problem wit room for luggage. What ever you decide to purchase make sure it has trailer brakes. You will not regret the extra cost.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:23 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Rick 547

I currently own a Halmark 7X14 Low Hauler but if I were to buy today I would purchase a 7 X 14 V nose.
A friend of mine has one and can haul 3 touring bikes with no problem wit room for luggage.
Yup ... Look at my pics earlier in thisthread, that is what I have.
It is also all Alumminum so it is light as hell and you barely even know it's there when trailering.
Rob ....

Quick Reply: Opinions on Trailer for Hauling Bike